Hatching on side VS hatching upright....

Bryam

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
So this is my third attempt at hatching shipped silkie eggs. These eggs are very high quality and they were expensive! They took 6 days to get to me after a long travel. When they arrived I placed them in the incubator right away, as they had a long travel, was very warm outside and they sat at the post office the entire day, waiting for me to pick them up! They were very fresh eggs, so most barely had an airsac, and the few that did have an airspace they looked good. I left them in the incubator with the turner off for 36 hours, then I turned it on.

In the incubator the humidity is 40-42 percent and the temp 99.5-100F. I am on day 4 now and an early candling is showing some development. I was worried because of the long delayed travel the eggs would be non viable.

Now in my first hatch with shipped eggs, I took the eggs out of the automatic turner on day 18 and 6 out of 8 eggs hatched. Humidity was 65 percent. The second time I did the same with 24 shipped eggs and I ended up with 4 chicks the rest just died around day 18. Not sure if it would have been better to let them hatch in an upright position? The air cells on this batch of eggs were very wobbly, more so than the other batches of shipped eggs that I received.

What are your recommendation for hatching this third and final batch of eggs ? I want as many eggs to hatch. Tips, experiences and feedback is most welcomed!!!

Thanks!:/

This is just my experience with shipped eggs. I had 12 out of 12 hatch on my last batch but I hatched in cut down egg cartons. As incubation progressed I was not feeling very confident about the eggs hatching as the air sacs looked terrible they were every where and I was convinced nothing would be able to hatch out of them. I did a bit if research and decided to go for the egg carton method. Was very pleased and will def do it again with shipped eggs. Good luck with your hatch:fl

Since you're hatching shipped eggs, I would also recommend leaving them in cartons.

I've never had eggs shipped to me (I'm too cheap!) but I hatch my own Silkie eggs both ways, and they both work. I suppose as long as the air cells in your eggs have reattached, you could lay them on their sides if you really wanted to. The cartons also make clean up much easier, as the cups catch any gunk and shells left behind.

Good luck!

I just had a batch of shipped eggs with damaged air cells. For lock-down I did put them in cut-down egg cartons as advised by many different sites. I only had 3 eggs make it to lock down, and two of them ended up trying to hatch out of the small end of the eggs. Luckily, I had picked them up to check on them before bedtime the next day and saw their pips and then laid them on their sides right away. One did not make it out, but the other did with some help from me. I'm sure they both would've died had I left them upright in the egg carton so...just a word of caution if you decide to try the egg carton method. I won't do it again myself.

Could I leave the eggs in the automatic turner for hatching? Just make sure they are upright and turn the motor off. Or should I take a regular egg cartoon? I am worried it will absorb the moisture and drown the eggs.

Thanks!

I'm not sure what kind of turner you have but I have a Brinsea with the metal dividers and foam pads in I would not hatch with them as chicks could become trapped in them. I have never had trouble with cartons absorbing water I just make sure they are well cut down and quite shallow you could even put a hole in the bottom of them. I use the cardboard ones not the polystyrene ones. :thumbsup

Okay, my turner is the one where they sit with pointy end down and they turner moves them from one side to the next. Will they hatch out better left in the turner or laying propped up in the cardboard container?

Last edited:
I would take them out of the turner and put them in cut down egg cartons if you want to keep them upright for hatching. Too much chance of them getting stuck in the turner, I think, with the gaps and holes in it. I've never had eggs shipped to me, so I don't know anything about whether or not they're better off on their side or pointy end down.

Ok I also have a question -- I have chicks in the BATOR. Last hatching was less than 50% and were shipped. These also are shipped but air cells look really good. I want to know is there a better position? I question this because I too had babies die trying to hatch in small end between their legs. I thought they knew naturally to go towards the air cell, right?

Back
Top Bottom