Hatching Ostrich Eggs

rubyredder

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 15, 2014
Ohio
I've raised chickens and guineas and several other types of birds/poultry for years. I'm pretty interested in trying ostriches and possibly emus and I was just wondering what it takes to hatch ostriches. I have a 40 chicken egg incubator, could that work to hatch an ostrich egg? I've been trying to research and there's really nothing out there about it. I would prefer to hatch them myself, but would be up for looking into buying days old chicks. Does anyone have an idea where to buy ostrich eggs that can be shipped to Ohio, or chicks for that matter??

I can only speak from a South African perspective where Ostriches are bred mainly for their low cholesterol meat, please do adequate research before getting an ostrich as they can be dangerous and their kick can cause serious injury. Good luck :)

There are a couple of sellers on ebay, and many more off of ebay that are selling ostrich eggs right now. A few counties north of me they are selling ostrich eggs for 35$ if you pick them up, and online 35$ with a 50$ shipping fee per egg. Quite a few farms in Florida at the moment :)

Hi I have Ostrich Chicks and eggs. I have 27 years experience with Ostriches. With over 500 breeder birds , so you get unrelated chicks. 775-764-1733

Dear Chicken-Herder.

I have just got a 4 day old ostrich egg and am wanting to incubate it. do you know all the ins and outs? im also in South Africa so would like to know temp, position of egg and humidity. I have a chicken egg incubator will this work? please help!

I'm pretty interested in trying ostriches and possibly emus and I was just wondering what it takes to hatch ostriches. I have a 40 chicken egg incubator, could that work to hatch an ostrich egg? I've been trying to research and there's really nothing out there about it. I would prefer to hatch them myself, but would be up for looking into buying days old chicks

_________
http://pass-4sure.org/

Last edited:
We have a nkobi ostrich/large egg hatcher... Looking to find a home for it, we no longer hatch ostrich eggs... Anyone have any contacts who might be looking ? Located in southern mi

I'm pretty interested in trying ostriches and possibly emus and I was just wondering what it takes to hatch ostriches. I have a 40 chicken egg incubator, could that work to hatch an ostrich egg? I've been trying to research and there's really nothing out there about it. I would prefer to hatch them myself, but would be up for looking into buying days old chicks

________
http://pass-4sure.org/
I did quite a bit of research on the ostrich community as I was looking for a N'Kobi incubator. (specifically made for emu and ostrich). Ostrich people have a world wide association and from what I see you can learn a great deal from this website: world-ostrich.org.

Back
Top Bottom