Hatching Perkins first time

moodybubbles

Songster
10 Years
Aug 30, 2009
I set 9 on feb 17 at 4 pm. 6 were developing on day 7 and the 3 that were not were tossed on day 13-14.

Humidity is 49-60% temp is 99.5-100.5. The bator is forced air lg. I turn the eggs 5 am 2 pm and 9-10 pm.

I left both red plugs in. I will stop turning on day Sunday and I believe hatch day to be tues, wed the 15-16th of March.

The eggs were stored at room temp. Not rotated daily, all not over a week old, the humidity has fluctuated, the temp has been constant although when I used a second thermometer initially it read 99. Now that second thermometer when I checked today reads 97.

I know not everything has been done by the book perfect. I'm hoping for the best.

i can't remember if day 1 is the day I set or 24 hours later an day has passed so that is day 1?

If these ducks hatch, could I possibly set it up so that the mother goose I have could be their momma? I wanted her to hatch for me but she has a nest with 10 of her own infertile goose eggs, she has not gone broody. My plan was for her to hatch and raise but I'm wondering if I could just get her or one of my pekin ducks to raise them? Or is it a must for another fowl to raise them she must have hatched them?

I know I can't throw baby ducklings who need to be kept warm in with full grown ducks with no momma...maybe is there a way to set up one female duck or goose for the ducklings to imprint upon? And she guide them from almost birth?

Otherwise how do I keep them from imprinting on me? I really wanted the birds to do this job.

I don't know exactly the time they pipped. The first one was zipped before I even knew it. I got up and thought I heard a tapping, then a bit later checked and saw that the one was almost free completely. The two that I can see a slight Chopin the egg from inside have done nothing for almost 24 hours since I noticed te chip. Actually one of them jumped when I shined the flashlight on it one time. Otherwise nothing.

Back
Top Bottom