Hatching pullet eggs and result question - UPDATE We have 2 chicks!

Yes, they are just too small to be tossed in there with the big chickens right now. My oldest ones are 34 weeks old and they aren't even the biggest ones I have as they are WLs. The biggest ones I have are my LOs who are just 21 weeks old!

And thank you for your kind words. I was happy we managed to get two chicks from her. I'm eager to see if they turn out to be roosters or pullets. If pullets I'm hoping the blue egg gene was passed down from Bandit. That would be cool!

I usually keep the youngsters in sight and then combine groups at 10 weeks, but there are many ways to have success.

I just read your little saga and enjoyed it immensely. I am so sorry that you lost your pullet unexpectedly, but I am glad that you took the chance and hatched her eggs.
hugs.gif

Realized that I haven't updated this thread - as of two days ago both Sunny & Spot moved into the big coop. They are now 6 weeks old. They moved themselves into the big coop. How? you ask? Well, they found a loop hole in my chicken wiring. I didn't put it flush to the ceiling - so they were getting up into the big coop by flying under the wire to the upper 2x4s and somehow manuevering themselves over the top of the wire. Since they did that move and spent the night without harm - I went ahead and moved them permenantly by removing the dividing wire. They were happily on the roost last night when I checked on them at bed time. Everyone is merged :)

Stumbled across this happy story and was wondering if you had any updates a year later? Did you get one boy one girl or did that change? What color eggs is the hen laying? Congrats on your babies!

Wow. I haven't been on BYC in far too long. :)

Yes. Spot was a scrappy little cockerel. He quickly took over his mating and protector role. I gave him to a friend who thinks he's a terrific rooster.

Sunny is a beautiful hen who looks like a white leghorn with a pea comb, she lays WL sized blue eggs. She's currently molting.

Wow. I haven't been on BYC in far too long. :)

Yes. Spot was a scrappy little cockerel. He quickly took over his mating and protector role. I gave him to a friend who thinks he's a terrific rooster.

Sunny is a beautiful hen who looks like a white leghorn with a pea comb, she lays WL sized blue eggs. She's currently molting.

How exciting!

My beautiful 22 week old pullet Bandit died suddenly yesterday of unknown causes. ...She only laid a total of 6 eggs since she started on 1/4/2012.

Assuming they were fertile eggs...Would I be able to hatch those eggs - they've been on the kitchen countertop for less then 10 days unturned with the fat end up...
10 days sitting on a kitchen counter at less than optimum conditions is a lot to overcome. But your pullet was young so you have that going for you. If you don't try you'll never learn. Go for it.

I am happy that you did get two chicks from your 3 eggs. I don't know what color eggs your two pullets will lay. Perhaps a close up picture in profile will help us decide what color to expect ahead of time.

Last edited:
10 days sitting on a kitchen counter at less than optimum conditions is a lot to overcome.  But your pullet was young so you have that going for you.  If you don't try you'll never learn.  Go for it.

I am happy that you did get two chicks from your 3 eggs.   I don't know what color eggs your two pullets will lay.  Perhaps a close up picture in profile will help us decide what color to expect ahead of time.

At this point my original questions were answered. They ended up being a rooster and pullet. And the pullet lays medium to large blue eggs.

Maybe this response was lost in cyberspace for a while?

Back
Top Bottom