Hatching pullet eggs and result question - UPDATE We have 2 chicks!

bobbieschicks

Chicken Tender
8 Years
Jun 24, 2011
King George, VA
My Coop
My Coop
My beautiful 22 week old pullet Bandit died suddenly yesterday of unknown causes. She was the product of another person's olive egger project -so not certain of her lineage. She was laying beautiful green, not olive, eggs. I have 3 of her most recent. She only laid a total of 6 eggs since she started on 1/4/2012.

Assuming they were fertile eggs (I have a very randy 25 week old White Leghorn rooster)
Would I be able to hatch those eggs - they've been on the kitchen countertop for less then 10 days unturned with the fat end up?
Would the offspring pullets lay white or blue shells?
Would the new offspring inherit the same condition that caused her to die suddenly or is sudden death just a freak thing that happens sometimes?

Maybe I'm just feeling melancholy over her loss - but I keep having a desire to hatch her eggs.

Last edited:
I have the same question... I have two hens that are around 28 weeks but I've just started finding their eggs. I've collected 7 over the last several days and I'm tempted to set them the 17th with a bunch of cochin eggs I bought. I'm gonna definitely subscribe and see if anybody chimes in on this one.
Sorry for your loss.

I am so sorry for your loss! Your eggs have a slim chance of making it because they have not been turned. I may be wrong, also because someone I know had great hatch rates without turning them. Best of luck though!
fl.gif

My son says we should go for it. Haha. He loves the hatching and holding part. Dislikes the cleanup and dying part. Got to say I'm right there with him.

So we will give it a try when we get home from church. Either we will get chicks or at least another hatching lesson for our homeschool science.

So I have the Hovabator turned on and warming up. They may not survive or be any good but we are going for it. I'll keep you posted. The last thing I wanted to do was hatch eggs in the winter time. We will know better in 7 days whether it's a go or folly.

Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement and kindness. I put 6 eggs in the bator - some are so tiny I doubt they'd survive if hatched. One is a fairly large size, but still small. We'll see what happens. The kids want to try. If it doesn't work, then later in the spring when my other green layer is older and laying better we'll try to hatch some of her eggs out and see what we get.

Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement and kindness. I put 6 eggs in the bator - some are so tiny I doubt they'd survive if hatched. One is a fairly large size, but still small. We'll see what happens. The kids want to try. If it doesn't work, then later in the spring when my other green layer is older and laying better we'll try to hatch some of her eggs out and see what we get.

fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
hugs.gif
love.gif
I have hatched some pretty tiny pullet eggs before. They were at least half the size of the others and the chicklets were very tiny when they hatched but it didn't take long for them to reach the same size as the larger eggs that hatched
hugs.gif
love.gif

Well I'm glad you decided to go for it. Keep us posted on the progress of Bandit's eggs. Hopefully ya'll get some nice reproductions of her. I didn't want to hatch in the winter either, I've been strong since August... I couldn't wait any more!
smile.png

I also slipped three of my White Leghorn's eggs in there. Just in case I do get a successful hatch - it ups the odds of having a few chicks versus one. She's been laying since Thanksgiving and her eggs are pretty big size now. I haven't seen Foghorn on her lately, but the kids have said he was getting on her. So hopefully those are fertile too. I'll check if there's any development on Day 9. I should know by then if they are clear or developing. Any development and I'll keep them, clear and I'll scramble them up for the chicks if I can.

Back
Top Bottom