Hatching Rate

I agree with the rough handling issue, the closer to home I order from--the higher my hatch rates are. I recently ordered 225 Ga Giant Bobs, put 219 in bator set 189 hatched 179. I may be off one or two but thats the jest of it, thats a 79 % hatch I think. But they were ordered from a very large hatchery in Georgia & i am in Central Fla. Ordered some from JJ I think from this forum he's in fla also and had a 96 % hatch. Also ordered some from Tenn awhile back and only had a 46 % hatch, many broke in transit even though they were very well packed. SO I'm a believer that distance/handling sure makes a differance. Sure wish I had a local supplier of larger Qty's.
thumbsup.gif

That definitely makes a difference. All my shipments were coming from far away. The first from Maine, the second and third from Florida. Since I live near Chicago, I'm guessing they all came through there and large volumes of mail through a hub didn't help.

My orders were also small which may have compounded the issue, but I order with the thought that they could all potentially hatch. And since I'm just a pet keeper/hobbiest, I couldn't imagine what I'd do if all the shipped eggs hatched!

Quote:
THE TEN THAT DID HATCH ARE BEAUTIFUL AND GROWING LIKE WEEDS. I HAVE 6 WHITES AND 4 BROWNS. I HOPE I HAVE SOME MALES AND FEMALES TO USE AS BREEDERS. I COULDN'T HAVE ASKED FOR ANY BETTER PACKAGING OF THE EGGS.

There is an old wivestale that one season brings more males than females. I hope it's not winter!!! I am using this time wisely
big_smile.png
but we got weather in the 40s last night so the quail are a bit chilled lol

Back
Top Bottom