hatching silkie help

silverteen

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 13, 2012
hi my silkie eggs are at day 22. one egg was pipped around 6 house ago. the chicks beaka is poking out but the membrane looks dry and white around it admit hadn't moved awhile. should i intervene?

I had to with my last hatch,I was not sure when they would hatch so I never got the humidity up in time,so I had to help two of them.I took the egg out and chiped away at the shell with eye tweezer and sprayed with warm water,put a sponge in the incubator to up the humidity higher to 75% and waited.If it still could not hatch then I took it back out and SLOWLY pulled some of the membrane away from the face.You have to be very carefull so they they don`t bleed.Its nothing I like doing but if you think they are not going to make it then I fell I have to do something.Six hours does not sound like a long time,sometimes it takes 24 hours for them to hatch.This is just my opinion you do what you think is right for you.

this is the first one through...

another 3 eggs all pipped and waiting to hatch :)

my first time hatching.

any idea what colour this chick will be?

Looks likes it's going to be a white silkie. That's what my white silkies looked like when they hatched.

X2 Looks like my white silkie when i got her at a day old chick, the one in my avatar..Well done. I have 12 in the incubater now. My first hatch with 10 days to go..

They hatched on their own.. I had one BBS that I had to help because it was screaming loudly.. It's a runt compared to the others but its the pretties one out of all of them.. She looks blue gray and when I let them out to run around she stays right at my feet.. Have to watch not to step on her.. But she was the only one that needed the help, the others hatched fine without my help. A few hatched 2 days early and some 1 day.

Oh, on my website there is a link to my photobucket that has pictures of them.

Last edited:
i helped by removing only the shell the chick had already cracked but was in its way, within a couple of hours it came out

ive had another hatch this morning it looks dark, like a black but has blonde hair too, its still drying in the incubator so hopefully see a bit better when it dries.

still got too making their wayout. both have pipped and made around 1cm hole with the beak poking out!

the first chick in the picture has been moved to the brooder and is very fluffy!

im worried their not getting enough water, ive dipped the tip of the beak in the water and im sure they got a couple of drops but they havent been back since when ive been watching.

ive put some chick crumbs in the brooder but the chick hasnt shown any interest, good set of lungs on it anyway, i can hear it on a different floor of the house!

don't worry about food and water. the chick is living off the yolk that it just absorbed so it could hatch. they come out tired from all the work of hatching. when they are 1 day old they will be more active.
helping them hatch is tough. you take a chance of killing them by helping and take the same chance by doing nothing. If I help---I get a shallow bowl of warm water and hold the bottom half of the egg in it so the chick stays warm. I then slowly take an eyedropper and add a tiny amount of water to the membrane so that it will be more elastic. you can then roll the membrane like a pair of nylons to uncover the chicks beak so it can breathe. then put it back in the bator and let it try to hatch on its own. remember that every time you open the bator you lower the humidity thus endangering all the others that are trying to hatch.

i helped by removing only the shell the chick had already cracked but was in its way, within a couple of hours it came out

ive had another hatch this morning it looks dark, like a black but has blonde hair too, its still drying in the incubator so hopefully see a bit better when it dries.

still got too making their wayout. both have pipped and made around 1cm hole with the beak poking out!

the first chick in the picture has been moved to the brooder and is very fluffy!

im worried their not getting enough water, ive dipped the tip of the beak in the water and im sure they got a couple of drops but they havent been back since when ive been watching.

ive put some chick crumbs in the brooder but the chick hasnt shown any interest, good set of lungs on it anyway, i can hear it on a different floor of the house!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom