hatching something!? (with pixs)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NireRN, May 12, 2008.

1. NireRN

NireRN New Egg

Apr 22, 2008
    Wanna hear a story?
    Got my boys off to school and then came home to check on the chooks. Hadn't checked on them since Thursday, I'm a RN and had to work Friday, Sat and Sunday. 12 hour days.! Yesterday was yuck in SW Indiana!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have 1 cochin bantam black roo, 3 cochin/silkie bantam hens and 1 bantam cochin frizzle hen. Now 2 of the 3 cochin/silkie hens have been sitting on a clutch of eggs for about 1-2 weeks. At first only one was sitting and then the other joined in. I've been keeping track and they had 17 eggs in one nest between the 2 of them. They are in an old feed bucket and so they are both comfortable.
    [​IMG]
    Now I have this big tiger stripped tom cat "Boots" that since he was little always stayed with the chooks. Never bothered them. Keeps other critters away.[​IMG] I feed him but since he was little have never petted him. He just eats mice and sticks around.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I went to check the setters and noticed something moving under one of the hens!! Knew it was not time for chicks - that should be about Memorial Day week!! Looked closer and the hen tucked the moving thing under her. Picked the hen up - and found a kitten!!!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Guess big old tom cat was really a big old momma!!!! I checked under the other hen and found a total of 6 kitten. 2 yellow, 2 calico, 2 tiger stripped!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    I plan on moving 1 hen and about half of the eggs to an inside pen tonight to give momma cat more room.

Hope everyone has a good day!!

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  2. redneck

redneck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2007
    Lynchburg,Tn.
    If a hen can hatch kittens then a a rabbit CAN lay chocolate eggs, I always new it to be true....................[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    you HAVE to post pics of that. I love it!

4. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Lol, same thing happened to me this year. I went to let the chickens out and noticed one of our cats in the pen. I thought"silly cat, you got locked in last night". I went in and found 4 kittens in the hen's favorite nest,along with eggs. A few days later,the cat was caught outside the pen and I just knew the kittens were gone. Nope, they were all snuggly and warm,and there were eggs in the nest again.

5. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    That is amazing! Everyone wants the cozy spot! I hope you can get a pic of the mama cat and the chicken "sharing" the nest!

I would be tickled pink if I found something like that at my house!

6. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    That is so cool.

7. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    That is amazing!!!! Very cute "chickkits"

What are the blue lines on the eggs for?

8. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    That is so cool! Really cute kitties too.

Lisa

9. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Thats awsome . I want a barn cat noww [​IMG]

10. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    coolest story!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by