Hatching store bought quail eggs

Quaillover1021162

In the Brooder
Jan 18, 2018
I bought quail eggs at a Oriental market about 3 weeks ago now the eggs are on day 16. 9 out 10 eggs were fertile only 4 made it to lockdown. All i can see is the air sack the rest is dark but what worries me is I don't see any movement is this bad

I bought quail eggs at a Oriental market about 3 weeks ago now the eggs are on day 16. 9 out 10 eggs were fertile only 4 made it to lockdown. All i can see is the air sack the rest is dark but what worries me is I don't see any movement is this bad

That's normal so don't panic. If the embryo dies then it's pretty easy to spot as the chick looks black and sunken and there is a clear liquid gap between the chick and the air cell with no veins visible.

The air cell will take on a slant as the chick gets ready to pip internally - if you candle just before they internally pip you may see the membrane flexing, and if you candle once they have internally pipped you'll see a little shadow beak wondering who turned on the lights!

They will pip internally then sit for 12-24 hours before externally pipping. Again it can take up to 24 hours for them to start unzipping but that usually happens pretty fast. Good luck! :fl

Thank you for the reply but I am still worried because I don't see movement in the egg is this bad I have four eggs on lockdown but none have moved plus it's only my second time incubating quail eggs but the temp is at 98.5-100.5 humidity is at 55-60 percent and ventilation is good so I don't know please reply someone

I've only caught the eggs moving once and I've incubated them a few times. The egg will only wriggle when the chick moves into the right position to hatch, so it's easy to miss.

You can candle right up to when they externally pip but just make sure you try and keep the egg in the same position as it is lying as otherwise you may confuse the chick which can lead to them trying to reposition themselves in the egg and getting stuck or in the wrong position.

It's always nerve wracking so how you feel is perfectly normal.

Thanks for your reply JAEG I am just wondering since I just started day 17 and the egg have not peeped internally it externally yet when do you think they will hatch. If they don't peep by day 19 I am going to cut into the air sack and try and save them what do you think

Last edited:
Slightly low temperatures can delay them for a few days so don't be too hasty. I've had them hatch all the way up to day 21. They know when they are ready and they need to go through the process of hatching to come out strong and healthy. They will pip internally then it's 12-24 hours before they pip externally. They may sit like that for up to 24 hours while they absorb the last of the blood from the veins in the membrane as well as the remaining yolk. So it is very important that they aren't rushed as those steps are essential for healthy, strong babies. Just make sure the vents are open on your incubator so they are getting lots of fresh air and the humidity is high.

Did you see any movement/flexing at one particular place on the membrane? That means they are trying to pip internally. If you didn't see that then they need another day or so of growing and up to two days for the hatching process.

Seriously, I know what you are going through. You can't do anything else but hover over the incubator, willing 'something' to happen. It's torture!

Thanks for your reply that was very helpful can you show me a picture of a chick that died right before hatching like you were talking about because I think on of my eggs might of died yesterday but I have a couple I am Sure are not dead. Thanks for the support

I haven't got a photo (I don't know how people take such good candling photos) but there will be a clear, yellowish, watery gap between the foetus and the air cell with no veins showing. The foetus looks really black and sunken towards the narrow end of the egg. There's no danger leaving it in if you are unsure at this stage.

Back
Top Bottom