Hatching thermometers

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crooked stripe, Dec 16, 2011.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Is it possible to use a human thermometer to check the temps in the botor? I have 3 thermometers in there now and all 3 say different things. From 95.5, 97 and a bulb type that says 100. What should I do. I read in the search section to get a photographic thermometer but I can't seem to locate one. rj

2. billiejo21

billiejo21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I'm not sure about using a human thermometer, but I know people have suggested using and aquarium thermometer, which I think you can get at Walmart for a couple dollars. Hope that help!!! Good luck!

3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:You can get any kind of thermometer you want but there's probably no more chance of it being any more accurate than the ones you already have. What you need to do is pick a thermometer and calibrate it, which basically just means using it to measure something whose temperature you already know for sure, such as boiling water or ice water, then checking to see what the thermometer says it is. That way you can find out whether it's accurate, or reading either high or low.

If you do a search here on BYC there are a few pages giving advice on how best to do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by