hatching to water or not to water?

rockypointer

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 1, 2012
So I am new to this hatching. I have 120 bob white quail in a hova incubator. Humitity is all over the board with no water in it at all. Should i even add water at all i was told not to is this ture. my temp is soild @ 100

So I am new to this hatching. I have 120 bob white quail in a hova incubator. Humitity is all over the board with no water in it at all. Should i even add water at all i was told not to is this ture. my temp is soild @ 100

Fill your water wells and open your plugs. if you have not calibrated your hydrometer you should do so before trusting it... try the link below. This works, just see how far your off yours are and do the math. I have several and sharpie the "correction" needed for each on the back....

http://exoticpets.about.com/od/herpresources/ss/hygrometer.htm

You will see a spike in humidity as the hatch begins. As long as you have enough air, you cant get too much humidity IMHO... So fill them wells and get a sponge ready for the last 3 days...Good Luck, Bill

EDIT TO ADD: Good to meet ya Rocky. 120 bobs for your first hatch. I like your style right off!
lau.gif
You'll have more questions, feel free to ask, We'll help ya where we can....

Last edited:
Ha yes that is me going at it swinging for the fence. I tested my hydrometer its about a percent off guess thats not to bad. Thanks for the welcome i am glad to be here with fellow hatching friends. one other problem my turning rack is full what do i do when they star to hatch not trying to count my quail before they hatch but do i just leave them in the racks just worried they are gonna fall out and get hung up and die.

I always hatch with the eggs in a upright position, in a carton. Feel I get a much better hatch rate. I know of several that just unplug the turner when its flat at lock down. I have heard of chicks get'n caught and need save'n too. I never have hatched in the turner, but have thought about it. If you still have the cartons your egs came in that would be a choice as well. But hatch'em lay'n flat works for a quail hen. Bill

On day 21, remove the eggs from the turner and place them on the floor of the incubator and if you did everything right with tempereature for the first 21 days, and indeed have fertile eggs, you should have a great hatch rate.

Back
Top Bottom