Hatching Tree Ducks (mandarin, wood, teal ring, etc...)

Selgar

Chirping
Mar 20, 2021
Hello! Looking for advice and experience with hatching tree ducks. Much of the blog info talks about settings for chickens/Peafowl/ducks/etc... The word is... mandarin and wood ducks are difficult to hatch. Is this perhaps because we are going by “duck hatching” guidelines? The ones that lay eggs in moist nests? I retrieved several research studies from a couple of universities on these ducks and when their natural habitat is mimicked, the hatch rate is significantly higher, however... the temperature is so much lower than what is suggested for ducklings. I’m on day 9 of incubation and all have developed thus far. Would live to hear from those with experience. Thanks so much!

Hello! Looking for advice and experience with hatching tree ducks. Much of the blog info talks about settings for chickens/Peafowl/ducks/etc... The word is... mandarin and wood ducks are difficult to hatch. Is this perhaps because we are going by “duck hatching” guidelines? The ones that lay eggs in moist nests? I retrieved several research studies from a couple of universities on these ducks and when their natural habitat is mimicked, the hatch rate is significantly higher, however... the temperature is so much lower than what is suggested for ducklings. I’m on day 9 of incubation and all have developed thus far. Would live to hear from those with experience. Thanks so much!
I've never done tree ducks but in general I have better hatch success hand turning 4 times a day. Then after day 12 or so I let them cool a little and mist them 2 times a day. I run humidity at 60% until the last 3 days then boost it up and stop turning them. I know someone that hatches tons of exotic ducks and he runs 60% straight through and 99.75 temp wit no cool down or misting. All that being said this has been a bad year for me so far for some reason no one can predict nature I guess.

I've never done tree ducks but in general I have better hatch success hand turning 4 times a day. Then after day 12 or so I let them cool a little and mist them 2 times a day. I run humidity at 60% until the last 3 days then boost it up and stop turning them. I know someone that hatches tons of exotic ducks and he runs 60% straight through and 99.75 temp wit no cool down or misting. All that being said this has been a bad year for me so far for some reason no one can predict nature I guess.
Thank you for the information. And I hope things get better with your hatchlings.

Back
Top Bottom