hatching trouble

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TimG, Jun 19, 2009.

1. TimG

TimG Songster

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    One of the eggs in my incubator pipped (on the top) and now is sitting in a puddle of yellow-brownish liquid. What has happened?

2. TimG

TimG Songster

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    This has already been pushed to page 2, so I'm bumping it in hopes that someone might have an answer.

3. quiltnchik

quiltnchik Songster

May 19, 2009
    Virginia
    I figured you would have gotten an answer by now. Has there been any progress on the egg? I have no idea what's going on, but sure hope someone sees it that can help soon! [​IMG]

4. TimG

TimG Songster

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    No progress on this egg -- I'm pretty sure the chick is dead. I'm just curious to know whether anyone might be able to explain what happened.

5. milleryardchx

milleryardchx Songster

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    yellow? the only thing I could think of is his yolk didn't absorb and it mights have leaked is it brown or a dark red like blood from the veins?

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It pipped too soon. Happens sometimes.

7. KittyKelly

KittyKelly Songster

May 6, 2009
    Central KY
    aww...I wonder why??

8. TimG

TimG Songster

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:It was not the first to pip, in fact it pipped rather late in the game relative to the other eggs in the batch, though it was not the last.

I noticed this morning when I took the remaining chicks out of the incubator that this chick had started its zip and got about 1/4 way around.

9. TimG

TimG Songster

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    I took the egg apart. No obvious signs (to me) of what went wrong. The membrane was not sticking to any part of the chick. No especially bloody parts.

The yellowish liquid did not look bloody, though a bit of red blood could easily have been what gave it a bit of a brownish appearance. There was no pool of it in the egg. But, my guess would have to be that the chick drowned in the liquid as the liquid was escaping the egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: