Hatching under a broody - help!

cheekychicka

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2015
Hi everyone, my broody is hatching her first little baby. It's been a bit of a rough road to get here and I'm very anxious! Everyone still has the cold that's been plaguing them for the last month. Anyway, that's in another post.
This is both our first time so I'm not sure what is normal.
This morning I thought I heard a peep from under. Fast forward 11 hours and I'm home from work. I just had a look under her and only one seems to be attempting to hatch. The side is all sorted of broken in, but the membrane underneath appears to be intact. I'm not sure if momma has been helping it along? Anyway, I think I felt movement in there - do I help at all or just leave well enough alone? As soon as they're hatched I need to move them into a larger area a bit more secure from the other chickens.

Any help would be appreciated!

Hi, personally I never interfere with a sitting hen, but that's just my approach. If you feel better helping the chick hatch then go right ahead.

Good luck

Ct

You are very welcome and I understand how you are feeling. I feel the same with every hatch myself!

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers
Ct

@CTKen I just had another look and there is less shell and I can see chick moving. But there are definitely drier patches on the membrane than other patches. Should I dampen with a warm damp towel?

Hi. That's good news! I'd still let nature take its course personally. Mum will have made sure the humidity is ok, but again, go with your gut instinct.

Ct

I have no idea what my gut is saying right now! I've had such a time with my chickens over the last few months. I had to get rid of the poor roo just after Christmas so I would love for something to go right for them for a change. It's getting dark now and temp is going to drop tonight. Mum felt lovely and warm under there so I will leave it till the morning I think. If no more progress after that then I will make a decision. Of course, all this could be in vain. The other chooks are still sneezing or blowing bubbles from their noses and the babies bodies may not cope. I've set up a large cage to move them into once hatched but it's still inside the main run where the big chickens are. So this worry may all be pointless.

Good decision I think. Don't be downhearted too soon! Even if things don't turn out well, there will always be another time. There's no substitute for experience - both good and bad.
Fingers crossed!

Ct

Back
Top Bottom