Hatching Under a Broody Hen

Sorry I keep posting so much. I’m just so happy!! Got another working on zipping. Still have 4 that aren’t doing anything. But I would bet they will by morning or tomorrow at latest. Momma is doing awesome. Still sitting faithfully on nest while little ones cuddle up with her. What do you all do for food and water for babies? I have put food in the nest for them just laying on the straw but not sure about water. Will they wander out of nest soon or do I need to find a small bird waters type thing? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again for listening to my rambling.

This is what I did.
I also mixed a very wet mash in a long shallow dish and put it where the crumble is sprinkled so the chicks would get hydration and food. It was below freezing so was a swap, thaw, and repeat. Thing is if you feed mama in the nest, she will poop in there, so watch for large turds as well as pipped chicks.
full

Sorry I keep posting so much. I’m just so happy!! Got another working on zipping. Still have 4 that aren’t doing anything. But I would bet they will by morning or tomorrow at latest. Momma is doing awesome. Still sitting faithfully on nest while little ones cuddle up with her. What do you all do for food and water for babies? I have put food in the nest for them just laying on the straw but not sure about water. Will they wander out of nest soon or do I need to find a small bird waters type thing? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again for listening to my rambling.

I'm happy you are updating! I was a couple pages behind and while reading, I was holding my breath to get to now! Lol
Glad some have hatched. I have found that even when I've given a broody eggs all at the same time, they still hatch staggered. I firmly believe that momma does it on purpose, to instinctively get one out, make sure its ok and moving about, then repeat. They don't want them all coming at one time! My broody hatches always seem to stretch out for 2-4 days.

Adorable babies! Congrats! And more pics when you get a chance. :)

I have found that even when I've given a broody eggs all at the same time, they still hatch staggered. I firmly believe that momma does it on purpose, to instinctively get one out, make sure its ok and moving about, then repeat. They don't want them all coming at one time! My broody hatches always seem to stretch out for 2-4 days.

That's interesting. Do you think the prolonged hatch period is a result of large clutches? My broody-hatched clutches (ranging from 6 to 12 eggs) always hatch out within a 24- to 36-hour period start to finish.

Well we are up to 6 hatched and 3 waiting. I’m making a crumble mush and going to see if they wanna eat. Working on waterer and feeder that will fit in the cage without risking drowning or water getting on floor. I am totally amazed at how active the little things are already. Momma is still sitting but has turned around on the nest and seems more lively. She was very mellow and relaxed over the last few days. She seems more awake and alert today. Gonna post a couple more pics of the whole gang.

That's interesting. Do you think the prolonged hatch period is a result of large clutches? My broody-hatched clutches (ranging from 6 to 12 eggs) always hatch out within a 24- to 36-hour period start to finish.

I don't normally let a hen keep more than 6-8 eggs. I had a chocolate orpington hatch 11, I think. But yea, the more eggs, the longer it will draw out, at least mine have.

Well we are up to 6 hatched and 3 waiting. I’m making a crumble mush and going to see if they wanna eat. Working on waterer and feeder that will fit in the cage without risking drowning or water getting on floor. I am totally amazed at how active the little things are already. Momma is still sitting but has turned around on the nest and seems more lively. She was very mellow and relaxed over the last few days. She seems more awake and alert today. Gonna post a couple more pics of the whole gang.

Sounds like she is doing a great job :ya

Yes that’s what I’m thinking so I did a quick rearrangement of their temporary enclosure. All the babies where out roaming around beside mom so I offered the moistened feed and they went wild!! Mom ate with them and made all kinds of clucks and sounds to tell them what to do. So awesome how nature works! I have one small issue with one of the babies feet. I’ll post a pic of it. It looks normal except it keeps it drawn up and barely uses it to walk. I’m thinking the band aid on foot to flatten it out may help. Any ideas? I’ve got vitamins in the water but they aren’t drinking from it yet. I did use that water to mix in their food so guess they will still get it from eating. Three eggs still haven’t pipped. Gonna let them be and see if they hatch before she leaves the nest.
B2C13E58-1DA1-4F26-95C9-B4A85DB9861C.jpeg F34EE863-D732-4808-BEB9-C396FE56CA84.jpeg C0AFC19B-4B14-43F3-A804-C3D5CC06ABAA.jpeg EBF35D4A-70B7-4A07-A20B-6989592A16AF.jpeg

Need to look at whole leg to find where the problem really is.
Could be curled foot, or bad hock/slipped tendon, or hip problem.
Vitamins is a good start tho.

It would be good to set up a waterer close to the hen so she can teach them to drink, as drinking may be more important than eating at this stage.

Mashed scrambled eggs are a very good source of vitamins, including some of the B vitamins that can help leg/foot issues.

Back
Top Bottom