Hatching vs purchasing chicks

Since you don’t want any roosters, I would go the hatchery venue versus hatching. It will be cheaper in the long run. It’s not easy to find roosters good homes that don’t wind up on the dinner table. Hatching is fun for kids but you could do that later and you might get frustrated before you get a decent flock. Granted we all have had bad luck with hatcheries; make sure you pick one closest to your home, one that has a good reputation and one that carries your breeds. Good luck

I wasn’t able to find any local hatcheries (other than “Pilgrims Pride hatchery” and that defeats the purpose of live chickens LOL) so I ordered from one in Tennessee. And they were able to send me hatching eggs from the 2 specific breeds I want. My husband is excited about DIYing an incubator and has been obsessively looking on YouTube.

For those who asked, we live right smack in the middle of the state, in Clarendon Co. (We’ve also been in national news thanks to a recent murder victim being found here. So sad)

I ordered 12 eggs of each breed, with the goal of 3 hens from each. We may keep a rooster, and I already have a few friends tell me to keep them in mind for other roosters.

So here goes nothing! LOL. The eggs will ship the end of April, giving us plenty of time (and motivation!) to get everything done

Since this is the only time we *plan* to do this, I’ve tried finding someone to loan us an incubator with no success. But the building of one seems like it might be a good project for DH and our 13 year old to tackle together. I just might need more wine to deal with all of THAT

In my experience here are the options.

While hatching chicks is a great project for kids you'd better be prepared to explain why some of them didn't make it. Also, as pointed out above, be prepared for roosters. I once hatched out a dozen eggs and got 8 roosters so a 50/50 odds don't always hold. (I also bought 6 straight-run and got 5 pullets so you can never tell.) Then there is the problem with the source of the eggs. If you get them from an established breeder you can be pretty sure they will be the breed you want On the other hand go to someone with a mixed flock and you could get all kinds of mutts.

If you really want chickens buying day-old (or better) assures you of the breed and sex you want. Also once chicks reach a couple of days post-hatch (the usual way they are purchased from a feed store) they are pretty hardy.

Finally, if you with straight-run chicks you will probably get some of both sexes. Give them a year or two and then you can either incubate some of your own eggs or get a hen to do it.

1651148-0d831e6d52f44f8dc45ae552dbe35f48.gif
Beware the enablers :gig

I went the feed store route the first time. 1/6 sexed chicks was a roo.

Statistically chickens hatch at 50/50 male/female so you'll need at least a dozen eggs if you hatch with a plan for the roos. Unless you get POL pullets, boys will happen.

Having chicks is fun, hatching chicks is more fun.

We started out a few years ago by purchasing 3 different breeds from our local feed store. One happened to be a rooster and others hens. We got lucky with the outcome. If you do end up with a rooster than there is pretty much a 100% guarantee (assuming you get a breed that tends to go broody like my bantam cochins) that you will end up hatching your own eggs whether it be natural or an incubator out of pure curiosity. Luckily, we have a local chicken swap that takes place once a month where we can take our extra roosters or unwanted chicks that we hatch. Maybe this is something you can look into if you buy straight run chicks.

View attachment 1722640 Beware the enablers :gig

I went the feed store route the first time. 1/6 sexed chicks was a roo.

Statistically chickens hatch at 50/50 male/female so you'll need at least a dozen eggs if you hatch with a plan for the roos. Unless you get POL pullets, boys will happen.

Having chicks is fun, hatching chicks is more fun.

Actually back in my tropical fish days we figured to get 6 fish to be assured of at least one of both sexes

I wasn’t able to find any local hatcheries (other than “Pilgrims Pride hatchery” and that defeats the purpose of live chickens LOL) so I ordered from one in Tennessee. And they were able to send me hatching eggs from the 2 specific breeds I want. My husband is excited about DIYing an incubator and has been obsessively looking on YouTube.

For those who asked, we live right smack in the middle of the state, in Clarendon Co. (We’ve also been in national news thanks to a recent murder victim being found here. So sad)

I ordered 12 eggs of each breed, with the goal of 3 hens from each. We may keep a rooster, and I already have a few friends tell me to keep them in mind for other roosters.

So here goes nothing! LOL. The eggs will ship the end of April, giving us plenty of time (and motivation!) to get everything done

Since this is the only time we *plan* to do this, I’ve tried finding someone to loan us an incubator with no success. But the building of one seems like it might be a good project for DH and our 13 year old to tackle together. I just might need more wine to deal with all of THAT

That is a very sad story....My town has had a few as well this past year :( Orangeburg County here

Back
Top Bottom