Hatching winter chicks.

I am not an expert ( only had turkeys just over a year now) I am looking to keep and breed the bigger girls..... I have one hen that is half bbw. So my palms and smaller chocolates will find new homes
Bbw? I'm hoping to get another female. I know someone selling some for 30 and looking at her blue slate? I think it's called.

Sorry broad breasted white.... the glorified meat bird of the turkey world.
I have a couple blue slate toms... very pretty
20181225_123815.jpg
the gray ones in the pic, mine are still young

Ah ok that's what I was thinking it was. I know they have a lot of health issues though.
The bbw are good for growing out fast.... my girl that is half is big but shouldn't have the health issues. She is a pretty girl, narragansett colored..... I don't have any recent pics

Kids usually deal with death of chickens as well as parents example leads.
@bobbi-j has a good blurb on this.
Are you thinking of the “Butch the Steer” story? @Momof3teens - we got a bottle calf when my boys were 10, 8 and 5. They named him Butch because, “We’re gonna butcher him, anyway, Mom.”

You are the parent. It shouldn’t be up to the kids to “let” you do what’s best for an animal that’s not thriving. It may be time to sit down for a matter of fact conversation with said child and explain that sometimes the kindest thing to do for an animal is put it down. Making hard decisions is part of animal keeping. It’s our responsibility to not let them suffer. I’m not saying the kid should be present when it happens if they’re going to be traumatized by it, but it is a fact of life they are going to have to learn to deal with.

Are you thinking of the “Butch the Steer” story? @Momof3teens - we got a bottle calf when my boys were 10, 8 and 5. They named him Butch because, “We’re gonna butcher him, anyway, Mom.”

You are the parent. It shouldn’t be up to the kids to “let” you do what’s best for an animal that’s not thriving. It may be time to sit down for a matter of fact conversation with said child and explain that sometimes the kindest thing to do for an animal is put it down. Making hard decisions is part of animal keeping. It’s our responsibility to not let them suffer. I’m not saying the kid should be present when it happens if they’re going to be traumatized by it, but it is a fact of life they are going to have to learn to deal with.
My kids were around for our butchering of the pig. They see me butcher rabbits and chickens. But they are all adult animals.

Back
Top Bottom