Hatching with 2 broodies

So sweet @Lesa Mae Hope the others hatch and that the mamas work nicely together. I have heard that silkies will co brood nicely.

So still just the 2 little babies the mommas are doing great still sitting on the remaining 4 eggs and the little ones are in there under both of them
fl.gif
I'm hoping that the girls will continue to co-parent these chicks without incident!!

Speaking of chicks...I have 6 new ones!. It appears that all of my all of the Delaware X eggs are boys and that I got two Dorking X girls and a CA Grey X girl so that is 50/50 just like the good Lord intended and I hoped for.
big_smile.png
I couldn't get them to pose for me so those will come but there are 3 yellow...the boys... 2 red and a black w/o a head spot...those are the girls.

I also am going to pick up those Marans chicks today. I hope hope hopeity hope that Julie will take at least the three littlest ones who will be 6 days old. I can keep any of the others that I want but I don't know that I want...I mean I do WANT a couple of them but then I would probably pick the ones that were boys. We will see how the week goes and I will post baby pictures.

frow.gif
Hi all. Happy Friday! Er… Saturday? for some. Just wanted to stop in and say hello.

The laying flock here at SSH is four members smaller as of this afternoon. I sold 4 leghorns. Sad to see them go, but I think their super duper laying abilities will be very appreciated at their new home. Now to move on from combined free range to combined sleeping between the adults and the teenagers. SOMEONE and that is a big someone since it could be one of 10, is trying to crow. This could get interesting!

Bday party tomorrow for my youngest son. Slip-n-slides and water blasters are ready!!

Momma and babies will be let out on Sunday. We had a hawk circling this morning, and Willie was doing and excellent job of alerting the flock, and the teens were doing and excellent job of listening and running for cover. I guess I could let them out today since I have caught 5 of them jailbreaking the efficiency apartment anyhow….

Anyhow, life on the homestead is good
cool.png

Good morning Team Broody
frow.gif

Congratulations on your bubbies LM; adorable!

TG aaaw, I am sorry to hear that your little blind bubby did not make it. I totally agree with you that it deserved a chance and I am also one that believes in leaving it up to mumma and nature. Obviously if it is something that can be treated or prevented but in this case, nature decides.

Congrats on the bubbies also.
Hhhhm, who was it said “we do not believe you until we see the pictures”? lolz
pop.gif

lau.gif
I shouldn’t laugh MM but you really should write a book ‘The Adventures of Willie the Rooster’; he seems to have quite a few :)

I am pleased that life on the homestead is good MM enjoy the party.

In general news:

For a change, I actually have some news, while not show stopping, it may be a glimmer of hope!

Non-egg-laying-broody-mumma of just over 5 months (including sitting), Cilla was in the way of the run gate when I went to shut it at bed time and when I reached down to gently coax her inside, she squatted!

OK, I did warn you that it was not show stopping but around here, that is news! Lolz

Also, her comb is getting some more colour and has turned from pink to somewhere in the middle between pink and Dusty’s beautiful red.

However, this morning she was chasing Tina around the run and she was a bit cranky last night also … what are the odds that this determined little broody goes from motherhood to broodiness and just skips the egg laying bit in between?! lol
th.gif

With my girls being bantams and either lazy, scared of heights or flight retarded, no-one has really bothered to try and get onto anything much higher than the garden edging. Cue Blondie! .... Yep, this little munchkin has decided that she is adventurous and has taken to jumping on the run gate when it is open, walking all over the top of the run and also on the coop roof.

Yesterday the little princess was sitting on the run gate, looking down at her subjects and Dusty decided that that looked like a good idea and jumped up with her; then Lulu and Cilla joined in also. Poor Tina, who has the flight skills of a brick, was running round and round the gate and you could see her little brain grinding away at how she was going to get up there also. I watched her as she eyed off the nest box and could see her thinking, if I jump onto that I can get from there to the gate ... problem being, no room on the gate! Poor Tina!

And, thank you Blondie, can't wait to see what you are going to teach them next .. maybe a bit of tree climbing, or how about some abseiling off the roof, or, if you are really game, you could try out your hunting skills on the 'big cats' in the cat run! lol

Good morning Team Broody :frow

Congratulations on your bubbies LM; adorable!

TG aaaw, I am sorry to hear that your little blind bubby did not make it.  I totally agree with you that it deserved a chance and I am also one that believes in leaving it up to mumma and nature.  Obviously if it is something that can be treated or prevented but in this case, nature decides. 

Hhhhm, who was it said “we do not believe you until we see the pictures”? lolz :pop

:lau  I shouldn’t laugh MM but you really should write a book ‘The Adventures of Willie the Rooster’; he seems to have quite a few :)

I am pleased that life on the homestead is good MM enjoy the party.

In general news:

For a change, I actually have some news, while not show stopping, it may be a glimmer of hope!

Non-egg-laying-broody-mumma of just over 5 months (including sitting), Cilla was in the way of the run gate when I went to shut it at bed time and when I reached down to gently coax her inside, she squatted!

OK, I did warn you that it was not show stopping but around here, that is news! Lolz

Also, her comb is getting some more colour and has turned from pink to somewhere in the middle between pink and Dusty’s beautiful red.

However, this morning she was chasing Tina around the run and she was a bit cranky last night also … what are the odds that this determined little broody goes from motherhood to broodiness and just skips the egg laying bit in between?! lol :th

With my girls being bantams and either lazy, scared of heights or flight retarded, no-one has really bothered to try and get onto anything much higher than the garden edging.  Cue Blondie! .... Yep, this little munchkin has decided that she is adventurous and has taken to jumping on the run gate when it is open, walking all over the top of the run and also on the coop roof.  

Yesterday the little princess was sitting on the run gate, looking down at her subjects and Dusty decided that that looked like a good idea and jumped up with her; then Lulu and Cilla joined in also.  Poor Tina, who has the flight skills of a brick, was running round and round the gate and you could see her little brain grinding away at how she was going to get up there also.  I watched her as she eyed off the nest box and could see her thinking, if I jump onto that I can get from there to the gate ... problem being, no room on the gate!  Poor Tina!

And, thank you Blondie, can't wait to see what you are going to teach them next .. maybe a bit of tree climbing, or how about some abseiling off the roof, or, if you are really game, you could try out your hunting skills on the 'big cats' in the cat run! lol

And you said there was no earth shattering news there !! Sounds like someone has to stay on her toes!!!!:eek:

TG aaaw, I am sorry to hear that your little blind bubby did not make it. I totally agree with you that it deserved a chance and I am also one that believes in leaving it up to mumma and nature. Obviously if it is something that can be treated or prevented but in this case, nature decides.

Hhhhm, who was it said “we do not believe you until we see the pictures”? lolz
pop.gif

In general news:

However, this morning she was chasing Tina around the run and she was a bit cranky last night also … what are the odds that this determined little broody goes from motherhood to broodiness and just skips the egg laying bit in between?! lol
th.gif

With my girls being bantams and either lazy, scared of heights or flight retarded, no-one has really bothered to try and get onto anything much higher than the garden edging. Cue Blondie! .... Yep, this little munchkin has decided that she is adventurous and has taken to jumping on the run gate when it is open, walking all over the top of the run and also on the coop roof.

Yesterday the little princess was sitting on the run gate, looking down at her subjects and Dusty decided that that looked like a good idea and jumped up with her; then Lulu and Cilla joined in also. Poor Tina, who has the flight skills of a brick, was running round and round the gate and you could see her little brain grinding away at how she was going to get up there also. I watched her as she eyed off the nest box and could see her thinking, if I jump onto that I can get from there to the gate ... problem being, no room on the gate! Poor Tina!

show stopping or not it was news and you tell it so well that the show might just stop. And since you brought it up:

Gracie Belle becomes a momma!

Little yellow boy, little red girl and little black girl

Mystery yellow in background...It came from a brown egg that I thought was a del. Maybe my choc rock? It is chipmunked so not a Del

Marans babies

show stopping or not it was news and you tell it so well that the show might just stop. And since you brought it up: Gracie Belle becomes a momma! Little yellow boy, little red girl and little black girl Mystery yellow in background...It came from a brown egg that I thought was a del. Maybe my choc rock? It is chipmunked so not a Del Marans babies
Awwwweeeee....... That's too cute but what's with the ugly duckling ??? ( not really ugly just an odd ball! )

It is a marans from the marans pen and a marans egg. It is a weird color genetics thing that I don't get. The woman I got her from said she might become Blue Wheaten and look like this.

BlueCopperMaransH3.JPEG

Which would NOT be a bad thing.

TG gees, talk about show stopping, those bubbies would steal the show anytime! Beautiful .. I want some! lolz

Having a girl that looks like that Blue Wheaten definitely would not be a bad thing!

A bit more general news, not chicken related though ... for various reasons (not criminal
wink.png
) we no longer have a car .. we do, however, still have legs and our new 'car' in the form of a pull along garden cart, nice big wheels and frame etc. We take it up to the shops to bring back the shopping, to the gas station for the BBQ gas bottle, the feed store for feed etc ... talk about 'The Good Life', all we need now is a goat to pull it along! lolz
lau.gif

Anyways, Syba, our big puddy cat (sadly, not big enough to pull the cart! lol) has just got back from the Vets for his annual check up, vaccination and worming .. we do not worm him ourselves, ever tried popping worm paste or a worm pill down a wannabe panther's throat?

I was so proud of him, sitting in his little cage, riding on the cart down to the Vet's and back; he was a very brave boy; we must have been quite a sight and did get some strange looks (we live in the suburbs). We had a blanket over the cage but he could see out the front and his dad pulling him along. OK, so he howled the whole way there and back again (like he used to in the car), but he was still very brave! lol

The Vet was very pleased with him, nice and healthy and shiny, good teeth etc
smile.png

Last edited:
It is a marans from the marans pen and a marans egg. It is a weird color genetics thing that I don't get. The woman I got her from said she might become Blue Wheaten and look like this.
BlueCopperMaransH3.JPEG
Which would NOT be a bad thing.
That will be one stunning chicken, now that is one you are going to have to keep us up to date on with its development!!!

Back
Top Bottom