Will it work?

• Total voters

Oob Child

Crowing
May 13, 2023
So, on YouTube there are videos, shorts, etc that show chicken eggs being incubated without shells. I have watched all of these and been fascinated by this for a long time.

There was a Swedish YouTuber called SlivkiShow EN who tried this. It took him 3 full years to finally get one to survive the full incubation process.
An interesting video was made by Yusaku Watanabe who hatched one in a seemingly simpler way. Hi China made a short video documenting the growth process of a chicken, again, without a shell. So many shorts videos have been done in this as well. Yusaku Watanabe has a step by step guide of how he did it in his.

So, why am I talking about this?
I want to try this experiment, and document exactly how I tried/did it using cheap home supplies, using a quail egg. I will not stop until I have hatched the first quail to hatch without a shell. (I will stop, check the bottom of the post).

I will start the experiment in three weeks (I'm going on a holiday🙂) and document it on this thread, then write a BYC article on it.

It would be cool if someone with a premium account could pin this so as many people see this as possible. I want people to know of this. (I'm not sure if it's possible to pin someone else's post)

Here's the cheap materials I will use:
-glad wrap
-fertile quail egg yolk+white
-Plastic cup
-mould for glad wrap (you have to mould it into shape, which I will use another quail egg for)
-hospital grade disinfectant
-absorbent cotton
-crushed eggshell(replacement of calcium powder)
-petri dish

To do this I will be following Yusaku Watanabe's steps and making a completely sterile environment for the embryo to grow in

Can I do this without any scientific experience or expensive equipment?
I'll update this post in exactly 3 weeks when I get the experiment started.
I recommend checking out the videos I mentioned, it will make this seem a whole lot more possible. Videos mentioned/reccomended:
- Yusaki Watanabe - Observation of the Development of Chick Embryo
-SlivkiShow EN - I WAS BORN IN A GLASS!
SlivkiShow EN - WE POURED EGGS INTO A GLASS AND NOW WE'RE WAITING FOR CHICKENS! EXPERIMENT
-Hi China - China's first chick hatched without an eggshell | CCTV English
-Ayush Lab (recommended) - How to Make Life in broken Egg without hen | India's first chick hatched without an eggshell |

Wish me luck 🤞

Edit: I'm only trying this once now due to people's skepticism.
I'm doing this with an egg that would otherwise be eaten

Last edited:
So, on YouTube there are videos, shorts, etc that show chicken eggs being incubated without shells. I have watched all of these and been fascinated by this for a long time.

There was a Swedish YouTuber called SlivkiShow EN who tried this. It took him 3 full years to finally get one to survive the full incubation process.
An interesting video was made by Yusaku Watanabe who hatched one in a seemingly simpler way. Hi China made a short video documenting the growth process of a chicken, again, without a shell. So many shorts videos have been done in this as well. Yusaku Watanabe has a step by step guide of how he did it in his.

So, why am I talking about this?
I want to try this experiment, and document exactly how I tried/did it using cheap home supplies, using a quail egg. I will not stop until I have hatched the first quail to hatch without a shell. This will be the first chick to hatch without a shell in Australia, and I will not stop trying until I do it. Whether it takes one try or a thousand, I will keep trying.

I will start the experiment in three weeks (I'm going on a holiday🙂) and document it on this thread, then write a BYC article on it.

It would be cool if someone with a premium account could pin this so as many people see this as possible. I want people to know of this. (I'm not sure if it's possible to pin someone else's post)

Here's the cheap materials I will use:
-glad wrap
-fertile quail egg yolk+white
-Plastic cup
-mould for glad wrap (you have to mould it into shape, which I will use another quail egg for)
-hospital grade disinfectant
-absorbent cotton
-crushed eggshell(replacement of calcium powder)
-petri dish

To do this I will be following Yusaku Watanabe's steps and making a completely sterile environment for the embryo to grow in

Can I do this without any scientific experience or expensive equipment?
I'll update this post in exactly 3 weeks when I get the experiment started.
I recommend checking out the videos I mentioned, it will make this seem a whole lot more possible. Videos mentioned/reccomended:
- Yusaki Watanabe - Observation of the Development of Chick Embryo
-SlivkiShow EN - I WAS BORN IN A GLASS!
SlivkiShow EN - WE POURED EGGS INTO A GLASS AND NOW WE'RE WAITING FOR CHICKENS! EXPERIMENT
-Hi China - China's first chick hatched without an eggshell | CCTV English
-Ayush Lab (recommended) - How to Make Life in broken Egg without hen | India's first chick hatched without an eggshell |

Wish me luck 🤞
Even in labs where they have everything they need and try this, most embryos die. The chances of you being successful is extraordinarily slim.
When you play with nature, it gets messy. You're opening that baby up to the risk of death/deformity. I don't mean disrespect by saying this, but as a warning. You won't learn anything new that we can't learn from candling/eggtospies. It's just doing it for the experience, gambling the chick's life.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I don't think I would risk it. It is very hard to do and the embryo will most likely die. That is basically killing the embryo for no reason before it even has a chance at life. One time I saw a video about chick development, and it showed each embryo dead out of the shell. That made me so mad they killed 20 chicks just for a stupid video!

I agree with the above, I would never tell someone not to do something they wished to do, each to their own imo, but It wouldn’t be for me personally. It also seems a hell of a lot of messing around having to sterilise each time there is contact, add oxygen etc for something that has been done before but with a very tiny success rate. I will be following out of curiosity and will keep my fingers crossed you have a good success rate.

I've heard of this being done in emergencies to try and save an egg that cracked badly, one last chance for the developing chick.

Following out of curiosity and I'm sure useful info for said emergencies will come of it, but personally, i couldn't possibly see doing this on purpose, especially not for the desire of earning fame for doing it.

This feels very wrong to me.

Obviously some opinions here, which is good - and expected from a chicken community.

For those of you against (I happen to agree) do you believe there is a circumstance when this would be acceptable? I believe OP referenced some scholars doing it so observe the growth of the chick.

What is the consensus on something like that?

Obviously some opinions here, which is good - and expected from a chicken community.

For those of you against (I happen to agree) do you believe there is a circumstance when this would be acceptable? I believe OP referenced some scholars doing it so observe the growth of the chick.

What is the consensus on something like that?
I'm using eggs that would otherwise be eaten, so I thought that might make it slightly less bad.

Back
Top Bottom