Hatchling can't walk

ssferret

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
Knoxville, MD
I have 7 newly hatched chicks. I had already prepared myself for not all of them to hatch so I was really excited when they did. They all hatched yesterday with the last 3 last night.

This mornining I found one of them upsidedown, flailing it's little legs. It couldn't turn right side up.

I have some pictures of it's feet and legs. I know the surface it's on is slick but I got better pictures there. The legs acted the same on the none-slick surface. Its left leg and foot seem to be the problem. When that leg touches the floor I can't seem to stop it from sticking out to the side.

In the picture where it's leaning forward it's dragging but doesn't go far. A couple of toes on both feet keep moving up and down like they're straining.

Have any of you seen this? Can I help it in anyway? I have its 6 siblings and 6 new chicks that are 2-3 days old now. I know it won't survive in there anyway.
PXL_20230325_120415619.jpg
PXL_20230325_120452412~2.jpg
PXL_20230325_120736028~2.jpg
PXL_20230325_120722991~2.jpg
PXL_20230325_120502670.jpg

I have 7 newly hatched chicks. I had already prepared myself for not all of them to hatch so I was really excited when they did. They all hatched yesterday with the last 3 last night.

This mornining I found one of them upsidedown, flailing it's little legs. It couldn't turn right side up.

I have some pictures of it's feet and legs. I know the surface it's on is slick but I got better pictures there. The legs acted the same on the none-slick surface. Its left leg and foot seem to be the problem. When that leg touches the floor I can't seem to stop it from sticking out to the side.

In the picture where it's leaning forward it's dragging but doesn't go far. A couple of toes on both feet keep moving up and down like they're straining.

Have any of you seen this? Can I help it in anyway? I have its 6 siblings and 6 new chicks that are 2-3 days old now. I know it won't survive in there anyway.View attachment 3443171View attachment 3443172View attachment 3443173View attachment 3443174View attachment 3443175
It may be spraddle leg.
I included pictures of what might help. 💕

Attachments

• BB263DA1-DA81-40E0-8049-18CC6931402B.jpeg
    BB263DA1-DA81-40E0-8049-18CC6931402B.jpeg
    236.9 KB · Views: 12
For some reason, it seems walking a little better. Maybe it flipped upside down before it started to really get its sea legs after hatching. 🤷‍♀️ I would have still thought it could turn back over from its back though. I'm still going to watch it obviously. Then I'll do what those pictures suggest.

I believe it is a splayed leg. I haven't had a chick yet with splayed leg but U have had situations like it. On thing you can try is putting it in a small jar or drinking glass. Not a super deep one and you can fill in that space with paper towels so they'll have something comfortable to stand on. The jar doesn't need to be too wide as its purpose is for the chick to be able and try to gain balance on its own by using the jar walls. Another thing you can try is something similar to what @AmyA248 mentioned in the photos. Photos #2-4 are really good in trying to make a brace for the legs. You might could try self adhesive bandage or medical tape might work but I love the self adhesive. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can help. That's great that she seems to be doing better!

Thank you. I was thinking about that but I wasn't sure what to do about it. I should have just looked it up too. 🙄 It's just like a mother. You can help others but when it comes to your own you can't even add 2+2. Lol
Tell me about it!
I treat my ducklings like babies. I adore them but they run away from me and it breaks my heart.
I don’t understand why they do this, as their brooder is in our KITCHEN and they see and hear us all the time.
I’m always holding them and my daughter adores them and snuggles them like babies! ❤️
It upsets her so much that she cries.
Do chicks do that as well?

We just hatched our first 3 2 days ago, so I’ve been studying raising chicks like crazy!
I have no clue what breed they are, as my neighbor gave 3 eggs to my 8 year old daughter and she incubated them herself and is doing a great job with them.
What a difference with the hatching process! The chicks popped right out on their due date and are doing great, while my Muscovy’s are the complete opposite!
I’ve had to assist with EVERY single hatch and it really takes a toll on your nerves.

Good luck with your lil baby 🐣

Attachments

• F95DAC1E-6E15-4B1F-B2A0-8E984F23EEBA.jpeg
    F95DAC1E-6E15-4B1F-B2A0-8E984F23EEBA.jpeg
    356 KB · Views: 12
  • AD857944-9A08-4FD1-A36D-1E57ED5DD632.jpeg
    AD857944-9A08-4FD1-A36D-1E57ED5DD632.jpeg
    511.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 7BD89E27-D6AD-488F-9937-3BAD8F63F454.jpeg
    7BD89E27-D6AD-488F-9937-3BAD8F63F454.jpeg
    421.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 371104B7-5BC2-4CFF-82B3-701AA6F1375E.jpeg
    371104B7-5BC2-4CFF-82B3-701AA6F1375E.jpeg
    431.1 KB · Views: 5
Tell me about it!
I treat my ducklings like babies. I adore them but they run away from me and it breaks my heart.
I don’t understand why they do this, as their brooder is in our KITCHEN and they see and hear us all the time.
I’m always holding them and my daughter adores them and snuggles them like babies! ❤️
It upsets her so much that she cries.
Do chicks do that as well?

We just hatched our first 3 2 days ago, so I’ve been studying raising chicks like crazy!
I have no clue what breed they are, as my neighbor gave 3 eggs to my 8 year old daughter and she incubated them herself and is doing a great job with them.
What a difference with the hatching process! The chicks popped right out on their due date and are doing great, while my Muscovy’s are the complete opposite!
I’ve had to assist with EVERY single hatch and it really takes a toll on your nerves.

Good luck with your lil baby 🐣
They are so adorable!! I've thought about getting ducks but I just don't have time to spare.

As for the running away, chicks will do that too. The main reason is when they see something huge coming their way. And that’s what we are to them even if the sounds around them, including you, is familiar.

I’m sure there are other ways people use to acclimate their babies but I'll try to explain what I do.

I used to, and still do you can say, work in animal behavior. The best way I found to acclimate animals to me is to get on there level literally and figuratively. Sit down when handling them. Let them get to know you by exploring you themselves. Don’t make sudden moves. Just move at a slow speed. Speak to them in a soft voice.
Watch how they communicate. Maybe you can even communicate in their language in some instances. I usually use kissy noises with my chicks as my way of saying I love you and I will protect you. It’s not a sound they make but they learn quickly what it means from my behavior.

I’m sure I go overboard but even if you try some of these techniques maybe you can eventually find your own way that works for you.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom