Have 3 and more coming--2 questions

Kristisp

Hatching
12 Years
Apr 3, 2007
Hi,

I am thrilled that we have 3 chicks running around the incubator and a few more hard at work to get out. It was in my sons kindergarten class so I was a little nervous! The kids were all so excited all day.

I have 2 questions. I have a brooder setup and am wondering what to put on the ground. When I've had chicks in the past I used shavings, but my husband just told me that isn't great because they'll eat it and he suggested newspaper. I have heard that is too slick for the chicks feet. Could I just use a towel? Anybody have thoughts of what is the best surface for them.

Second question is, one of the chicks has a blob of mucus (sting and then a blob) looking stuff attached to its bottom. It is like the yolk is attached to it. Will it fall off? Should I take it off?

Thanks so much! This forum has been a huge help during this process and I'm sooo happy have my new little babies.

Kristi

From what I know, the yolk blob falls off... But I'm not sure, so let somebody else answer that.

I was told (and I'm using) a layer of news paper on the bottom (easy clean-up), wood shavings over that, and for the first couple days, paper towls over the top (don't think they'll eat that, plus it's non-slippy). It's a combination of everything I've gathered, and I think it'll work. Hope it helps : )

Kristip.....I would put down the shaveings with paper towels over it for a few days, untill they know what and where the food is. Your hubby was right, they will eat shaveings, untill they know.

As far as the hanging thingy?? EEK! Mayeb part of the yolk sac? Not sure on that one. Maybe someone that knows more than me can tell ya on that. But I dont think you want to take it off.

The "hanging yolk blob" is the yolk sack which has not been fully absorbed yet. Normally, they absorb it the day or so before they hatch, but some take a little longer. You DEFFINATLY do NOT want to remove this, as you could very badly hurt the chick! Just make sure the other chicks arent pecking at it until the chick absorbs it within a day or so. If other chicks are pecking at it, seperate an area of the brooder off for the little doll and give him/her some peace to finish what they should have already done!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom