Have a question but have no idea how to post a question anywhere else. Hurt chicken

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock!
frow.gif

I have seven, seven month old chicks the two Easter eggers have stopped laying. The remaining five, Wyandotte and orpingtons are still laying. What's going on. Bob my e-mail is : [email protected]

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! At 7 months I would say they are having a break in laying due to them being new layers. I'm having the same thing right now with a pullet I have that's a new layer. Also if your having less daylight hours now this can affect egg laying. Please do pop by the egg laying section of the forum for further help. Here is the link ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/18/chicken-behaviors-and-egglaying

Enjoy BYC :frow

how do i start a new tread i've be looking for the button for 20mins:barnie

I can't figure out either how to post something on this site
I just want to ask a question?

Hi there :frow

To start a new thread pick the appropriate section of the forum for your question and look for the box that says "Start a new thread" ~

Click, add a title and your question underneath and submit. Hope this helps and good luck :thumbsup

Okay, I need advice, we have 6 astrolorps hens, 1 silkie hen and 1 frizzle rooster. The astrolorps badly pecked my silkie this winter to the point where she would not return to the coop. Since she has healed but still will not go back in the coop. She's been living in a doh crate with little sun light because when I put her out with her flock, she hides and I have to find her as she refuses to return to the coop. She's stopped laying and I'm wondering if it will get better this spring or if it's time to butcher her. It just sucks because she was a decent layer prior and only a year old.

Okay, I need advice, we have 6 astrolorps hens, 1 silkie hen and 1 frizzle rooster. The astrolorps badly pecked my silkie this winter to the point where she would not return to the coop. Since she has healed but still will not go back in the coop. She's been living in a doh crate with little sun light because when I put her out with her flock, she hides and I have to find her as she refuses to return to the coop. She's stopped laying and I'm wondering if it will get better this spring or if it's time to butcher her. It just sucks because she was a decent layer prior and only a year old.

Silkies are a breed known for being at the bottom of the pecking order and in a mixed flock will in general get picked on and bullied. I'm afraid this will more than likely not improve in the spring. As she has stopped laying and refuses to go in the coop I would say she is stressed/scared of the other flock members and is keeping her self away to avoid the bullying behaivour from the others. Laying can reduce in the winter though due to lack of daylight hours or molt etc. As she is a hen have you thought of trying to rehome her with someone who has a flock of silkies or other docile breed of chickens? Rehoming hens is always easier than rehoming Roos.

I am getting more chicks this spring, do you think it would help to get other different breeds and/or more silkies?

More silkies would be great for her but other breeds could also be ok. Another crested breed or bantam breed could work. You really won't know until they are grown and you add her to them.

Or are you adding the chicks to your exsisting flock? If adding to your exsisting flock I would not recommend silkies.

Look into Silver sebrite maybe, its a very cute and tiny bird with alot of attitude, I have a halfling who lays green eggs and keeps my poor frizzled naked neck company, who previously had been picked on by the other hens.

Back
Top Bottom