Have a question regarding broody chicken

celtic

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 12, 2010
Bend Oregon
My bantam Silver Laced Cochin has gone broody. Have tried removing eggs and her from nest but she kept going back. Finally decide to let her sit on two eggs from the big girls. The problem is she is nesting in one of the favorite nesting box of the big girls. Should I move her and the eggs to a box the big girls dont care for or just leave her alone and let the big girls use other boxes? We have a total of six boxes for laying and two of them the big girls dont use. Thanks for advice in advance

you can try moving her to another box if she'll stay is the question, my girls layed right in the broody nest and then another 1 went broody and started sitting the same nest, I moved both to their old coop and run seperating them from the other chickens, the girls like laying in the nest with eggs and broodies seem not to mind getting more eggs.

Leave her but mark the eggs that are her hatching eggs, removing any others that the other girls might lay in the same box... a favorite box is, after all, a favorite box!
idunno.gif

or
hmm.png

You can try moving her to another closed location, preferably a smaller cage, like a large dog crate... or she will just keep moving back to the favorite box and whatever eggs are in it. I have about an 80% success rate with moving a broody hen and having her stay on the new nest. Best bet is to do the move at night when everything is dark and quiet.
roll.png

Good luck with your broody!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom