Have any of you all noticed that one breed will hatch out first?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bargain, Feb 25, 2009.

1. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Last hatch, literally every speckled sussex hatched out before all the others made the first hatch out.

Time before, it was literally every buff orpington

What causes this?

I don't have a very scientific incubator - handmade wooden with 3 racks - but I keep seeing this on all my hatches.

Never saw this in my stryofoams.

Can some one tell me why this happens? My eggs are all from our farm and right at the same age when they come in, The temp and humidity reading the same. I'm really curious about this. Thanks.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    My orps are lazy. Depending on which lines they come from I can predict who will hatch on time and who will hatch 12 hours late.

3. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I just wondered if baby chicks have races with each other on who comes out of the eggs first? Just kidding but really wondered what was going on and if there's any explanation of this? Next hatch, I will try putting the tray in with different locations for these different breeds and see if this makes a difference on who is first. Just my curious mind inherited from my scientist Dad. Too bad I don't have the math skills to go with it. Well thanks for your input Miss Prissy.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I would say it probably has something to do with the actual temp of the incubator. Different parts of every bator will have temperature differences. I would say most likely you just 'happen' to keep the breeds 'together' inside the incubator, so that would make them hatch at different times. Does that make any sense?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by