Have chicks got coccidiosis? Help!

Fredschook

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 28, 2009
Hi! I am new to chickens and am looking for some advice please. My daughters school recently hatched some hybird chicks, which after 10 days they rehomed with various parents. We took home two, one male & one female and they are now 5 weeks old. I have always kept them really clean, especially as they are living in a pen in our kitchen! but about 10 days ago I noticed some red in their poo. It only seems to be in one or two poos a day, and wihtout going into too much detail it looks like a tiny bit of red mucus (almost jelly/snot like!). When I asked the lady who I bought my POL girls from (they are outside & have not been in contact) she said it sounded like coccidiosis & gave me coxid to put in their water. They have been on this for 6 days now but no change to the poo.
The chicks themselves look fine, lively, bright eyes, eating & drinking well.
In trying to find more info on this, there are some mentions of intestinal lining in the poo, which is ok? How do I know if their poo is normal or if it is something more serious?
Our vet is not a poultry person & so I was hoping someone might be able to help me please & either put my mind at rest or advise on what best to do!
smile.png

if you go to the "search" button up top-and type in chicken poop-there should be posts that asked the same questions and 1 had had fabulous pictures of every colored pooh you can imagine-telling you what it should like if the birds have whatever illness--very graphic nasty poo pictures but well worth the look! good luck

Hi!
Thank you very much - excellent info!!! It looks very much like its just a small bit of intestinal lining - huge relief!!!
big_smile.png

I'm just glad Im finally able to "start" helping people....your welcome!!! Took me a while to figure out how to use this site to my benefit and others-not a computer genius!!! it was fun--glad your chickie is good..

Back
Top Bottom