Have I lost my mind?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jerryray, May 31, 2011.

1. jerryray

jerryray Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Kentucky
    Yesterday went to check on the chickens and it was near 90 degree so I sat a fan for my chicken so they would stay cool. Lucky chickens.[​IMG]

2. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

I have done that too if the temps go over 95 which it does on occation here in New England...

3. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    I have a box fan hooked up in the coop for the girls that are laying. It is hanging above the nest boxes. haven't had to turn it on yet, but will probably soon. Oh and another thing I do to help them keep cool- I ice their water. Yep they have the 5 gallon bucket waterers and I freeze 2 liter bottle and put in the bucket, fill up with cold well water, put on base and flip. Keep their water cold for awhile. They seem to really enjoy it [​IMG]

4. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I thought of doing that.My husband says i have gone chicken crazy.i was so worried about them yesterday i kept going in the coop and run area and pouring water on the ground trying to cool them down.also filled milk jugs of water and freezing them to put in their
    coop trying to cool them not sure if it helps or not.my husband is not understanding at all.he says they will be fine.[​IMG]

5. jerryray

jerryray Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Kentucky
    Barefoot Mom my chicken now has ice water to drink. Thanks so much for the tip.[​IMG]

6. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    I wish it would get warm enough for fans! It's still cold here. brrrr.... But when the heat comes, my chickens and horses all get fans and ice-water!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by