1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Have I lost the batch?????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by grampies57, Mar 4, 2012.

1. grampies57

grampies57 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    Power strip kicked off that incubator and turner were pluged into. Was on late saterday night, found off sunday morn. May have been off as long as 9 hours. Temp was 65 when I found it. Temp back up in about 60 mins. Power strip is gone now. Should I let it go and hope for the best or are they gone and clean the eggs out? Any advise would be well recived.

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

How many days have they been in the incubator?

3. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I would wait it out and see. It is possible you could salvage them. When I was in 6th grade we hatched chicks during tornado season. Unexpectntly one day during school our school power went of and we all had to go home. Our teacher, a backyard farmer, thought she would see if the embryos would make it, they did.

4. grampies57

grampies57 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    Power off between day 8 and 9 for the chicken eggs. Around day 21 for the Royal Palm eggs, I candled these last week and can't see any mass inside. They are the first 4 the young Lady's layed. More upset about losing my first 9 Serama eggs and the 10 Silver Phoenix eggs. The Phoenix have had 80 to 85 percent hatch rate, and have several people who want them. By the way Kidcody what breed is your avatar picture?

5. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

At the end of developing hatching eggs can go many hours with out there normal temperature. As long as it doesn't drop below 70 degrees. The picture in my avatar is of my Jubilee Orpington hen!

6. Timbertoes

Timbertoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Two of my chicken eggs wound up in the frig for almost 24 hours before they were noticed (hubby forgot we were pulling them to set) They both hatched! I'd let them go and see what happens.

7. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

If this helps....a powerful storm with microbursts knocked out power out for 12 hours on February 24th; power finally came on at midnight.

To date, eggs in the incubators have been hatching on schedule without issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by