Have I set them up ok?

alifrew

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 18, 2012
Hi,
I've kept chickens in the past but am caring for chicks for the first time. I have seven of unidentified breed and sex at the moment. They are between 3 and 6 days old. I have had them in a large indoor rabbit cage but noticed they didn't have much room to run around so have set up a bigger space to play in. They have chick crumb, water, a heat pad, some bird grit (I think it's designed for parrots but the pet shop had no chick grit) and a pile of straw in the corner. I've also added a tray of soil and sand for them to bathe in but nobody has been brave enough to try it yet!
So far they have done lots of running and wing flapping, they've eaten and drink, pooped everywhere and are now lying sunbathing. I've checked the temp and it's not too hot for them.
Is there anything else I can do? I've not gone for any food treats yet as I wanted them to figure out the grit first.
Thanks for any advice

They are getting braver and have approached the dust bath but there's no bathing and lots of rooting through the soil and nibbling. They aren't on medicated feed as there was none in any of the pet shops I tried. They will be living outside when they are fully feathered. Will they be ok eating the soil? They do have grit available?

Back
Top Bottom