Have no idea whats going on with my hen's backside

No she is in the middle she is a very sassy orpington! LOL! I'm thinking she is a late molter and my red sexlink (who are the bullies in my flock) plucked her feathers which they have a nasty habit of doing to the other birds and they pulled her skin.

Ok well that explains the feathers and it don't really look like molting to me but if u see feathers falling out by there selves and not being yanked out then I would say she is molting

Well my hens will molt and then when they have new feathers growing in the other hens will pluck them out again.

The thing about my chicken is she is not yet a year so I believe they don't molt until after a year. The only thing I can think of is that I cut her feathers in that area maybe 4-5 days ago bc she always has poop stuck to her feathers there. Maybe my trimming made the others take notice of that area and peck at her backside really bad?? What do you think??

It's a good possibility that trimming her feathers caused the pecking. If you have a vet in the area that cares for birds I would take her there if it's really bad it might require professional care.

Back
Top Bottom