have several chickens with white stuff on face where it used to be red

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tinahoak, Oct 17, 2010.

1. tinahoak

tinahoak Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2010
    Brockport, NY
    I have a several chickens that have developed a white "scale" ? on their faces, does not appear coming from their ears . At first I thought ammonia poisoning ? but the coop is cleaned out and then it developed days later. A few have puffy features . My coop does get sparrows flying in ( the darn things!) as I have the front door open ( yard is fenced) I have given them lots of vitamin A via fresh winter squash. it is just on the face , no coughing or sneezing or ill appearing in any other way. ( legs look fine, no scale) Coop has good ventilation................I am at a loss on how to help them get rid of this . I have not yet medicated their water . But I am going to do this today .
    Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. GwenDellAnno

GwenDellAnno Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Water Valley, AB
    I had something that looked like that too. Turned out it was new feathers coming in.... the new shafts are white. Could it be possible that they are molting?

3. tinahoak

tinahoak Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2010
    Brockport, NY
    thanks , but no. This is not moult related. As a few birds have puffy eyes and it is on the face where they don't have feathers............wish it was from moulting [​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by