Have to brag about the Musky Babies

neverbdone

Songster
14 Years
Dec 9, 2008
Lake Isabella, CA
They are just too cute and they love the kiddie pool. Does anyone else spray their duckies down with the hose on shower mode? OK, it was a bit of a rough start for Mom, but she did a great job. Ended up with seven Muskys. They are so cute, but I can only keep a couple. Is it best to sell pairs or trios? I put them on Craigslist today. Too bad I can't sell to a BYC'er. I just can't ship. Don't have a clue how.

19616_babyduckies3.jpg

19616_rex_and_donald.jpg

19616_babyduckies2art.jpg

If you sold them in pairs and trios wouldn't they produce inbred offspring?
hmm.png
Or are they not related? Anyways, cute ducks, and I LOVE your dog!
big_smile.png

Can someone tell me about the white head gene. The father of these babies was from pure black show line. The mom (I'm attaching a photo) I got when my pure black hen was taken by a bobcat. I got her from a neighbor that had many muscovys, but all were black and white of different styles. Mom also has white feet. The babies seem to be all black with a faded ring of white at the neck on a few and all have the black feet. Is the white head and feet a dominant or a recessive gene?
hmm.png

19616_babyduckies1.jpg

Oh, chicken obsessed. My understanding (someone correct me if I'm wrong), is you can inbreed ducks with no problems. However, as I mentioned, the pure black I got with the father (his sister) was taken by a bobcat. These two are not related at least not for many generations. Good question though. I received the information about inbreeding from the breeder/shower I bought them from.

That's interesting. I got 3 call ducks a while ago that were extremely inbred. He said it didn't hurt them, but they were deformed and weaker than an un-inbred duck would be. It was really sad to raise those duck.
sad.png

The white head gene is partially dominant. Sometimes it will come out, sometimes it won't. We had babies a few weeks similar to these. Their mama is a barred blue with a white head. The daddy was black with a white bib. Even though the babies started out looking a lot like yours, now (as 8 week olds,) two have white heads. However, my understanding is that after they molt, their color patterns can drastically change.

You wouldn't want to inbreed generation after generation, but an occasional inbreeding isn't going to give you 3 eyed ducks or anything.

Back
Top Bottom