Have to butcher my first bird tomorrow.

Really when using a cone, gently place them in and extend their neck. I find that rubbing the area where the cut is going to be tends to relax them and they close their eyes and it clears the feathers away so you can see your target better, then one swift--but steady stroke through ether the coratid or jugular will do the trick. You'll get some flapping at the very end but its a reflex action, not something deliberate.

Really when using a cone, gently place them in and extend their neck. I find that rubbing the area where the cut is going to be tends to relax them and they close their eyes and it clears the feathers away so you can see your target better, then one swift--but steady stroke through ether the coratid or jugular will do the trick. You'll get some flapping at the very end but its a reflex action, not something deliberate.
The flapping that comes with decapitation is also reflexive. It's not as clean as the cone method, though. For us, the bird is caught and decapitated in less than 30 seconds. It's over that fast. Then we either put them in a 5-gal bucket until they're done flapping, or I hold the carcass by the feet until the flapping is done. (Yes, it does get a bit messy at times.) Either way, in my opinion, is a quick, humane way of doing it. That's really the important thing.

I've also seen videos where someone is letting someone try to break the chickens neck for the first time, and clearly did not demonstrate first..because they grabbed the chicken by the head and just kept swinging it in a big circle, probably not even dispatching the bird, just torturing it! There is definitely something to be said for ppl who respect the animals they are harvesting.

While I am not a very religious person, your blog post echo's many sentiments I myself have towards the eventual "harvest" time I will have to contend with. Wonderful and thoughtful writing and I'm sure it will help many facing this aspect of raising chickens. What method do you think is the most humane?
Religious or not religious....the one thing we all have in common is we love our chickens. :hugs

Good for you. It's a tough decision to make. There is nothing wrong with butchering an extra rooster. (When I had several hens go broody this spring, I was hoping for more cockerels than pullets for that very reason. Freezer fillers! I know you can eat pullets, too, but I'd rather not.) As a matter of fact, I see this as good, responsible flock management. It's hard to find a home for extra cockerels/roosters. At least one that is willing to be a "permanent home". And around here you can hardly give them away, let alone sell them. I figure, why would I put the time, effort and money into raising a bird just to give it away to someone else to eat? I'd rather eat it myself.

Do you have a pressure cooker? That's one way to tenderize an older chicken. If he's less than 6 months old, I don't think you'd even have to do that. A crock pot is a handy tool, too. The carcass can be used for broth after all the meat is picked off it. That can be frozen or pressure canned. So many good uses for chicken and broth!

Let us know how it goes. We've been butchering chickens for years, and it's always kind of a sad thing for me until we get started. Then it's just something I know has to be done, and I deal with it. I'll admit - I have never actually killed one of my chickens myself. We use the hatchet and stump method to decapitate them, and I'm so uncoordinated, I figure I'd amputate my leg if I tried it. If I were doing it myself, I think I'd use the cone method, even though I don't think it kills as quickly and humanely as decapitation. Wishing you all the best. And again, kudos to you for making a hard decision.

I will slow cook on the wood heater over night. I am also using a razor sharp hatchet and a stump. Two nails to secure the head and put him in a stock feed bag. I am a good shot with chopping wood. I am about to start a boiler on the hob. Here goes nothing. No matter what it can't be as bad as cleaning up the mess after my lovely girl was hit by a 4wd the other day.

I will slow cook on the wood heater over night. I am also using a razor sharp hatchet and a stump. Two nails to secure the head and put him in a stock feed bag. I am a good shot with chopping wood. I am about to start a boiler on the hob. Here goes nothing. No matter what it can't be as bad as cleaning up the mess after my lovely girl was hit by a 4wd the other day.
We're rootin for you! :hugs
When you say "after my lovely girl was hit by a 4wd the other day" you mean a chicken....right??

Back
Top Bottom