Have to find homes for my dogs

Chickending gave some excellent advice! That is the same advice I got when I spoke to a black lab trainer. They trained their dog to retrieve for competition and they were an avid user of the collar.

Quote:
I have to give you credit for a very well written response. I can't say I disagree
with any of your points.

We are probably similiar in our attitude towards dogs. I see/read newchickowner
a bit differently. Sometimes what isn't written is more important than what is,
especially in this type of venue.

These dog posts get peoples emotions in an uproar. There have been a few that
became nasty. This is not one of them.

From what I have read I believe newchickowner does have a chance
to keep her pets safe and together. Everyone who has posted here,
including you, have something positive to offer that may help her succeed.

Don

Quote:
Don't regret anything. When you start a thread like this you will get conflicting
opinions. Everyone here wants to help.

No one is judging you. It was not right for me to accuse Cara of doing that. She
had her opinion and is entitled to it. I suspect if she was your neighbor she
would be over your house trying to help out.

Dogs and chickens both pull on all our heartstrings. We may have different
ways of handling them but our goals are all the same: Happy and healthy
families and pets.

Keep the faith, do your homework, and train those dogs. I know it can be
done and I know you can do it.

Don

Thank you chickending, I do use the phrase, "leave it" and the few times she got out to chase the chickens, she did stop to look at me for a split second before turning around and continue the chase. I do believe that the shock collar will just be an extension of the leash invisibly which is what I was hoping for. You also addressed my other concern, I wondered if she would eventually not need the collar after a few sessions of training. I think that I will not need it for long judging by her temperment.

Again the reason for getting the Pyrenees dogs was to protect and coexist with my chickens once my front acre is fenced so introducing them to the chickens is/was a crucial part of that plan. First it was the donkey and that went very well. The donkey being very young as well as the dogs now thinks she's one of the pups. But now it's the chickens turn and both have done well on leash my BF holding one and I the other. Even walking into the coop, doing chores, they looked at them only leaned to sniff a few times which I commanded them to leave it as I have done their feed bins before feeding. (a dog that size can knock you over to get food, and I have young children who like to help, so they have to "leave it" until they are told they can eat.) now their food doesn't get up and run off so if they dissobey, which they have cause they are puppies, I'm right there to correct it and so far now they are doing pretty good. Chasing them, however, they know I can't reach them.

As I have said I have just never needed to use a shock collar before, and I know there is controversy about them to which I wanted more opinions about from people who've felt them on themselves and who have used them on their animals. I am forever grateful for the concern and advise.

They are pups!!!!
Even the best LGD's can play with a chicken to death as a pup.

Two of my Great Pyrenees pups love to chase the chickens when they are bored. Most of the time, they don't pay any attention to them. Great Pyrenees are said to not be reliable until they are 2 years old.
We are working with our pups. As they grow up, they usually stop that nonsense. My older ones have stopped chasing, but still like to run through them and watch them scatter. I have to show them any new additions, though and let them know they belong here.
LGD's still need training.

Now, I understand yours are a German Shepard cross with a Pyrenees. You have a little more work ahead of you.
If you are willing to spend the time, I'm sure you can train your dogs to leave your chickens alone. I believe females are a little harder to train, I think it's because they are more intelligent!!!
love.gif

I am not a dog trainer, but I believe in the old saying:
If there is a will, there's a way.

It sounds like you are on the right track with taking them into the chicken pen with you on a leash. It is just going to take a lot of time and doing it every day.

In my opinion, the best training is to have a hen with chicks. Put your dog on a leash, take it to the hen & let the hen whip the snot out of the dog. Say your command to the dog while it is getting flogged.
They remember that lesson very well. That is what I do with mine, if I have a hen with chicks, besides using the command I use for them to leave things alone.
Good luck, and I hope you can keep your dogs, they are very pretty dogs.

I'm not a fan of the shock collar. And I'll leave it at that.

Jean

Last edited:
Newchickowner,

When you do start to use the collar I would committ to a good few months of training depending on the will/trainablility of the dog. It is also something you may need to re-use occaisionally to reinforce some training. They are pups too so they could just be being the little mindless teenagers that they are and will grow out of it. If you have ever touched and electric fence that is what it feels like to varying degrees. My collar is adjustable so I can turn it up or turn it down or use a simple vibrate mode. Which now when I am training I use mostly the vibrate mode. I am training a hunting dog right now for a friend and I have got more than my money's worth out of that collar. Its a great off leash training tool, by no means an answer to all dog problems. It can be done. Its a good thing that she at least stops when you say "leave it". So she is recognizing the cue she is just thinking she doesnt have to pay attention and chasing the chickens is far more appealing than listening to mom. So once she starts to know that she has to listen no matter what. In thinking about it I really think alot of it is puppy nonsense and they will grow out of it but you still need to train them to leave the chickens alone. Good Luck with it and I hope it works out for the best for you and the dogs.

They are pups!!!!
Even the best LGD's can play with a chicken to death as a pup.

That's exactly what she was doing, playing. I've had to stop my kids from chasing them once or twice when I got them too. They are 6,5, and 2 yrs old. They think it's fun too. I think it's going to work out. My BF finally listened to me about them, we've only had them 3 months now and I told him they can't learn overnight. I've worked hard in those three months teaching them to walk on a leash, sit, lay, leave it and a few other things and I just need more time, hell it could take a couple of years like Chickending said, I may have to reiterate the lesson again. I also heard that Pyrenees finally calm down some when they turn twoish, so I've only just begun. But I going to be able to keep them..... for now anyway. Bull headed man, causing me this stress, shame on him!
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom