Have to kill all my chickens tomorrow!

I know a few people with MG positive flocks and they are not made to cull them by anyone. Keeping a closed flock is best of course but I cant see anyone "making" you do it. They can catch it from a wild bird ! You could start all over and have it again . there are many flocks with MG . Im just saying, Check into further before you decide.

Is there wild waterfowl on your property?
I’ve done a lot of waterfowl hunting for many years. I’ve belonged to DUCKS UNLIMITED and DELT WATERFOWLER many times over the years. Last fall my Waterfowl hunting partner and I got invited to a large farm to hunt, chase get rid of the wild goose population. At times there has been more than 500 geese feeding in the fields of this farm. This farm raises cattle and POINT OF LAY PULLETS. The people who own this farm are BIG Ducks Unlimited contributors. These people have let DU use a large parcel of land for DU waterfowl projects.
Ducks Unlimited has now stated WATERFOWL IN NORTH AMERICA carry diseases. DU has warned this farm about the extreme hazards of allowing these wild waterfowl to remain on site. The geese are MORE than likely carrying diseases that could wipe out the pullet operation
Here is a link from DU.
https://wcvmtoday.usask.ca/articles/2019/08/watching-for-wild-carriers-of-avian-influenza.php

I’m under quarantine and I have to kill all my babies!! the state is sending a rep tomorrow morning to have me sign papers stating that I won’t remove chickens from my property.
I haven’t had anyone with chickens at my home or introduced any new chickens to my flock for five months. WHAT HAPPENE, I‘M DEVISTATED, 😢
So over the phone they ordered you to kill all your birds, but to your face they will only make you sign papers not to remove birds!? But, can't you wait until tomorrow and see what exactly the state official who comes onto your property says? and hopefully get him to sign what he says or record him? If possible, keeping a "closed flock" (not removing any of your birds from your property) would be far preferable to killing them all right now. Each bird could live out its life, and be humanely destroyed by you (or someone you ask to help you), once you decide it's the best thing for each bird.

I live in the mountains of NC, very seclude. About a month ago my chickens started getting sick. Respiratory infection. Treated
with sulphur drug prescribed by Vet, didn’t work. Lost a hen and took to state for necropsy. Got a call this afternoon and I’m under quarantine and I have to kill all my babies!! I’m so upset, don’t know what to do! They have Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. Very contagious, the state is sending a rep tomorrow morning to have me sign papers stating that I won’t remove chickens from my property.
I haven’t had anyone with chickens at my home or introduced any new chickens to my flock for five months. WHAT HAPPENE, I‘M DEVISTATED, 😢
So sorry you & your chickens are going through this. It could have been transmitted from wild birds. I don't know what your state regulations are, I read it is considered contagious, high mortality but not always, as some survive, but since they're exposed could be considered potential carriers. In a huge chicken production bsns with overcrowding mortality rate is devastating, but with a small backyard chicken coop, some states may possibly quarantine for 6 mos from the latest diagnosis, not necessarily euthanize all birds, often only ones displaying symptoms & suffering. I don't know about your state, but if you are not breeding to sell birds, and no other birds are coming and going from your property, they may possibly just require quarantine of birds & no selling of eggs for 6 mos. and during that 6 mos. no other birds that were ok can break out with the illness, or that 6 mos quarantine clock starts over. Your state may be more strict than other states. I feel so bad for you.
There are types of vaccinations for diseases, some are mixed for a thousand birds but I bought them & treated my small flock anyway. You have to read through to figure out the best time to administer them, usually when they're chicks then again weeks later as a booster. I did treat older birds I rescued, I figured it can't hurt.
https://www2.zoetisus.com/products/poultry/poulvac-myco-f
I did find this, some info that can help boost immune system of chickens. Later on, when no one is on medicine, can add supplements to rotate diff days, 1 teasp per gal of water once a week, apple cider vinegar Mon, minced garlic Wed & sambucus Fri.
https://www.backyardchickencoops.com.au/blogs/learning-centre/mycoplasmosis-poultrys-common-cold

I wish I could tell you something good, a miracle cure, but not all can survive this despite best efforts. I've read that M. gallisepticum can be treated with antibiotics such as tylosin, tetracycline, doxycycline or oral enrofloxacin with ophthalmic gentamicin. If you can, separate any showing signs of illness from the others. I am hoping for the best for you & your flock.

I live in the mountains of NC, very seclude. About a month ago my chickens started getting sick. Respiratory infection. Treated
with sulphur drug prescribed by Vet, didn’t work. Lost a hen and took to state for necropsy. Got a call this afternoon and I’m under quarantine and I have to kill all my babies!! I’m so upset, don’t know what to do! They have Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. Very contagious, the state is sending a rep tomorrow morning to have me sign papers stating that I won’t remove chickens from my property.
Oh my goodness! That's terrible news. My heart aches for you. Their has to be another way. Is that state rep going to euthanize all you chickens babies for you?
Please keep us updated.
I am so sorry for you.

Have they advised you to euthanize your flock? What about a closed flock?
They said they will all die before too long.
I've got chills...
I'm so sorry for you, it could've come from another animal such as a rodent.
How many do you have currently?
I don’t think so, fro what they told me. I have fourteen hens and one rooster.
I'm so sorry. I know you don't know who I am, and I don't know who you are, but I do know that losing chickens is hard. My heart goes out to you, and if you need morale support, this byc community is here for you. I don't know what else to say. Is there anyone else who is quarantining with you who can do it instead of you?
Nope, I live by myself.
Thank you for your kind words.

I know a few people with MG positive flocks and they are not made to cull them by anyone. Keeping a closed flock is best of course but I cant see anyone "making" you do it. They can catch it from a wild bird ! You could start all over and have it again . there are many flocks with MG . Im just saying, Check into further before you decide.
I agree but they are sneezing and when they do get worse, it’s a horrible death.
Ive lost several already. Don’t want the possibility of them passing it on to other wild birds. Havent had an egg in several months and my rooster can’t even crow.

Have they advised you to euthanize your flock? What about a closed flock?
It’s up to me but since I can’t cure them and they can pass it on to wild birds it is what I morally should do. I love my birds dearly but I can’t stand to see them suffer. They are on a new antibiotic that I got from the vet yesterday morning before I got the bad news. It’s just a matter of time.

Back
Top Bottom