Have to kill all my chickens tomorrow!

It’s up to me but since I can’t cure them and they can pass it on to wild birds it is what I morally should do. I love my birds dearly but I can’t stand to see them suffer. They are on a new antibiotic that I got from the vet yesterday morning before I got the bad news. It’s just a matter of time.

This is the worst-case scenario I never even imagined could happen. I am so sorry you have to be in this position! No one here will judge you for humanely euthanizing. I think you should research how long you have to wait to get new bird on your property.

This is the worst-case scenario I never even imagined could happen. I am so sorry you have to be in this position! No one here will judge you for humanely euthanizing. I think you should research how long you have to wait to get new bird on your property.
I’ll ask the state rep this morning when he arrives. I have a list of questions for him. 😢

After culling, clean and sanitize your coop, feeders and waterers, rake out the run.

Because we are going into winter, let the coop sit empty until spring and I would sanitize it one more time before introducing more birds.

If it were summer, you would only have to wait 4-6 weeks but with cold, rainy/snowy weather i would wait longer as an extra precaution.

All the years of having chickens, i have only once had my birds infected.

I had to cull all my flocks this past spring because i brought an infected bird in that had no symptoms.

After culling, clean and sanitize your coop, feeders and waterers, rake out the run.

Because we are going into winter, let the coop sit empty until spring and I would sanitize it one more time before introducing more birds.

If it were summer, you would only have to wait 4-6 weeks but with cold, rainy/snowy weather i would wait longer as an extra precaution.

All the years of having chickens, i have only once had my birds infected.

I had to cull all my flocks this past spring because i brought an infected bird in that had no symptoms.
Thank you for the info. I’m having my shoulder replaced in January so maybe I’ll get chicks from Hoover’s in March. I will never buy a bird from anyone in the future! I’m expecting to man coming from the state about 9:15. I’ve got a long list of question. 💔

Thank you for the info. I’m having my shoulder replaced in January so maybe I’ll get chicks from Hoover’s in March. I will never buy a bird from anyone in the future! I’m expecting to man coming from the state about 9:15. I’ve got a long list of question. 💔
I'm so sorry to hear about this! Even though my dozen are laying eggs now, I would be heart broken too! I was going to tell you that someone is giving away a dozen chickens in Hickory. But when you said you'll never get some from someone else, that got me thinking that maybe I shouldn't either.

I"m so very sorry!!! Based on NatJ's explanation, tho, it sounds like you have no other choice, for the good of everyone. Given that it can spread via human clothing, etc., I would look into whether the disease can stay in the soil, coop, bedding, etc. before getting another flock. You want to be sure your living quarters are safe for newcomers!!

I HATE having to put down any of my chickens, but over the years, we've done it several times, when there was nothing we do to ease them of their own on-going suffering. As with losing any pet or human loved one, having a recognition of mourning helps me. We live on several acres. We put the body into a little basket, carry it down to a particularly beautiful spot on the property, pick flowers or whatever is growing at the time along the way; then make a nest out of what we've picked in an appropriate spot (at our last place, it was in the folds of a giant prickly pear patch underneath a live oak tree; at our current place, it's in the crook of a willow overhanging a beautiful pond), lay the bird in the nest, place some flowers/other on and around her, thank her for being part of our experience, shed a few tears, and then leave her to return to Mother Earth (presumably with the help of a coyote or raccoon). This may not be quite your thing, but finding some way to recognize the loss that works for you may be comforting to you, just as memorials and funerals are when our beloved humans cross over.

My heart and tears are with you!!!! <3 <3 <3

Back
Top Bottom