Have two roosters, three hens...need to add the newest hens, but when?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mac Momma, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Mac Momma

Mac Momma Crabgrass Queen

Apr 27, 2008
    North Georgia
    I had originally purchased four hens and a roo. Well, you know how the story goes......the "hen" switched genders, so now I have two roos and three hens that are about 7 months old. Hens are laying and roos are mating with them. Upon realizing that I had two roos, I realized that I needed to add to the flock. These have their own coop.

So, I purchased 5 new babies(that have been properly separated for 6 weeks now for quarantine purposes and to wait for them to grow a bit). These new girls are 13 weeks old. I have provided a quasi-coop for these girls until I can add them to the remainder of the flock.

I have read to do this at night and that there will be some pecking in the a.m., but I am so afraid that the little ones are too little. However, they have outgrown what I have for them to stay in!

I have searched several other posts and read a lot, but looking for any sage advise from the wiser folks out there.

Oh, they are RIR and NHR and BAustrolorps, a good variety of heavies. [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    I think the best way to do it is to put the new group in the same run with the older flock but sepeated by chicken wire ( mesh) then they get used to see each other for at least one week, then you can turn them loos.
    Another thing I think you really need to get red of one rooster,two are too muchfo the hens.
    Best Luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by