Have you bought shipped eggs or sold eggs & shipped? OUTCOME?

I've gotten several shipments of eggs so far.. I always candle the eggs as soon as I receive them then let the seller know what kind of condition they were in when i received them (detached air cells.. scrambled.. hairline cracks.. and whatever else may have come up).. I also readily admit that the post office is HORRIBLE with any package.. especially if it's marked fragile.. I have never mentioned a seller's name to anyone .. to me that's between me and the seller.. so if someone sends me old eggs with enormous air cells.. i know that wasnt caused by shipping.. I will tell the seller that they are probably not going to hatch.. however I won't tell anyone else who they came from..

as for the post office handling.. I know that the seller is NOT responsible for what happens to the eggs once they leave their hands.. in this last batch of chicken eggs all of the eggs had badly detached air cells.. several were also scrambled.. I candled the eggs after they had been through the first part of incubation and saw that only one was viable.. so I notified the seller to let them know.. again I did not place any blame on the seller.. they offered to send me replacement eggs in a few weeks.. so I offered to pay for shipping.. I do NOT expect them to supply me with free eggs and have them pick up the tab for shipping as well.. I thought their offer of replacements was more than fair since the eggs were damaged in transit from rough handling and from excessive heat and not the fault of the seller
I also placed some "control eggs" from my birds in this batch since the shipped eggs were in such sad shape when they arrived.. all of my "control eggs" show plenty of veins.. so that proves to me that the shipped eggs were damaged in transit

wow, im impressed! I always candel and check the eggs I buy before incubating but you go beyond. I as a seller would probably offer more just because you were letting me know what was happening on your end. I canled my eggs that I buy when they are in the bator for 10 days and then let the seller know. I have never asked for free eggs either but have been offered them and I am happy to pay s&h.
Quote:

Quote:

well.. the way I look at it.. the seller would probably like to know how well their packing job worked .. and also depending on where they are located and the weather, they may like to know what condition the eggs were in and how well they incubated.. that way they can use it for future reference in case there is ever a problem where they can benefit from the info
If I let them know how well the eggs are doing at 7 or 10 days... then they know how viable the eggs were after transit through the postal service.. it's one thing to receive an egg with a detached air cell and it to still be viable.. but if 12 eggs are detached .. and only one ends up being viable.. then that tells them that either their fertility was too low ( they would know how many roos they had per hen).. or that the post office beat them up a lot more than we first thought.. either way it can be valuable info for the seller so they can either adjust the way they do things. or give people in specific locations a fair warning that their hatch rate may be lower than expected because of weather conditions or extremely rough handling at certain postal hubs

There must be a better way to ship eggs...suspend them in a gell of some sort?
idunno.gif
It's crazy that the post office can beat them up so bad..specially when the box is marked fragile? We get live fish shipped to us (I know...not quite the same thing) but they are in a little baggy with water and 95% of the time they arrive in good condition.

Quote:

well.. the way I look at it.. the seller would probably like to know how well their packing job worked .. and also depending on where they are located and the weather, they may like to know what condition the eggs were in and how well they incubated.. that way they can use it for future reference in case there is ever a problem where they can benefit from the info
If I let them know how well the eggs are doing at 7 or 10 days... then they know how viable the eggs were after transit through the postal service.. it's one thing to receive an egg with a detached air cell and it to still be viable.. but if 12 eggs are detached .. and only one ends up being viable.. then that tells them that either their fertility was too low ( they would know how many roos they had per hen).. or that the post office beat them up a lot more than we first thought.. either way it can be valuable info for the seller so they can either adjust the way they do things. or give people in specific locations a fair warning that their hatch rate may be lower than expected because of weather conditions or extremely rough handling at certain postal hubs

I had the very same experience with shipped eggs 4 weeks ago. Emailed seller when I got the eggs 28 of them and so many broken, detached air sells , scrambled. They were a mess. She said she would send me some more in a few weeks. I know the weather is so hot hope she doesn't forget about me, since I paid $130.

I look at shipped eggs like a trip to Vegas you win some and lose a lot. I very much enjoy getting shipped eggs, the excitement of winning a auction, waiting for them to arrive, unpacking them. Oh and waiting 21 long days
big_smile.png

Quote:
Wow! now why didnt I think of that! brilliant! *goes off to look for some BIG fish*

why do i have the theme song from JAWS going on inside my head?....

Hmmm....now that would take a BIG box and a garbage bag..good thought though! I hate sharks and would love to stuff.....ok not going there
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom