Have you ever had a broody do this?

Mvan42

Crowing
5 Years
Mar 15, 2019
Garrett County, Maryland
I have a broody who hatched one chick just over a week ago. I also have 6chicks about 4 or 5 weeks old. They chicks were separate from broody and chick (broody in big coop and chicks in brooder that’s in coop). Today is the first day I let the check out of the coop/run to free range, broody and chick have been going out for several days. I noticed that the broody has taken the older chicks and caring for the the same has the hatchling. Calls them and gathers them when our cat is near.. has anyone had a broody do this?

I have a broody who hatched one chick just over a week ago. I also have 6chicks about 4 or 5 weeks old. They chicks were separate from broody and chick (broody in big coop and chicks in brooder that’s in coop). Today is the first day I let the check out of the coop/run to free range, broody and chick have been going out for several days. I noticed that the broody has taken the older chicks and caring for the the same has the hatchling. Calls them and gathers them when our cat is near.. has anyone had a broody do this?
I had a white silkie that tried to steal another Mama's newly hatched chicks and her own were 4 weeks old. She probably thinks they are hers.

I was wondering, once I brought then older ones home she went broody. Lol.
I know broodiness is hormonal but there's just something about a clutch of eggs or new chicks around that just seems to get all my girls in the mood. Last year I had broody after broody. They would raise the chicks until 6 weeks then when the next broody hatched her chicks the other mama would want to go again. I had to shut the cycle down I ran out of space lol. Sometimes I play chicks chirping on YouTube and my girls go wild looking for the chick .

It's crazy isn't it. I dread the spring when the broody season starts in earnest.
The chickens free range here and I just know I'll be out for hours searching for nests.
Some hens here are on their third broody cycle this year.:he

It's crazy isn't it. I dread the spring when the broody season starts in earnest.
The chickens free range here and I just know I'll be out for hours searching for nests.
Some hens here are on their third broody cycle this year.:he
It sure seems contagious doesn't it. I have to watch them all year long the heat and cold doesn't stop them. They tend to prefer one nest and all fight over it or they will sit on it together or on top of each other it's a mess. My elder hen she's never been broody and never shows interest but she's the enabler. When I have a broody she will lay her egg in the broodys nest and give it to her then get down.

I know broodiness is hormonal but there's just something about a clutch of eggs or new chicks around that just seems to get all my girls in the mood. Last year I had broody after broody. They would raise the chicks until 6 weeks then when the next broody hatched her chicks the other mama would want to go again. I had to shut the cycle down I ran out of space lol. Sometimes I play chicks chirping on YouTube and my girls go wild looking for the chick .
I've got one in my house now. Three more on two clutches in one of the coops and another about a week away from going broody with an outside nest.
P8291766.JPG

P8291758.JPG

I've got one in my house now. Three more on two clutches in one of the coops and another about a week away from going broody with an outside nest.View attachment 1894223
View attachment 1894226
She's precious on her little nest! Now I'm feeling broody for my girls lol. I don't have the space but I'd love to let all 5 of them be broody together since they are all either sisters or bloodline of each other

I had two broodies hatch at the same time. When the chicks from one hen saw the chicks from the other hen they became best friends and moved in together under the dominant broody nested on the floor. The other broody camped out in the empty nest above them. They raised them together. The chicks always knew their mama's voice. When they got a little bigger (about 3 weeks), two moved back in with the mom above. The hen on the floor saw that and said, "I'm outta here" and went back to the roost. Then the less dominant broody raised them until weaning. It was one of the dearest things I've ever seen.

2017-06-10_101533.jpg

2017-06-21_110248.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom