Have you ever had a group of chickens that's just smarter than the rest?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WalkingOnSunshine, Jun 5, 2012.

1. furbabymum

furbabymum Songster

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    Send me some smarties. Mine almost died in a storm. In fact one did. Stupid birds!

2. laughingdog52

laughingdog52 In the Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    Eastern Oregon
    I don't know if this qualifies as smart, but I have 4 Delwares who will untie my shoes and follow me around. They love the ties on my hoodie, too. They were the first to fly out of the box. All the hens will come when they see me because I am the only one who feds them, but if I'm a little late, they will throw themselves against the screen door to open it. (alas-it works). Also, I got to noticing that whenever I take a picture, there is at least one Delaware![​IMG]

3. Dmonster76

Dmonster76 Hatching

Apr 15, 2012
    I have a six month old modern game pullet who isn't particularly smart but she is the bravest chicken I've ever meet. So far she has taken on an 18 month old Light Brahma, about five times her size, and a rather large alley cat. She will also chase off any non-chicken shaped bird that enters her yard.

4. Miss Jane

Miss Jane Hatching

May 27, 2012
    This is a classic... it is known that chickens are not as stupid as some people think. Animals Australia posted a video showing that chickens can differentiate colours, shapes and pictures. Not sure why your chickens are hanging out at a point which has no different features. Some of mine are silly, but I have a few who are very smart!!!

5. folgerrd

folgerrd Songster

Jun 4, 2011
    Canada
    My brooder is too tall for them jump out, but they sure try and if they get close I pick them up and re-direct them to their food. Except one, Chocolate-Face. She only jumps up when I am out of her view and then she pecks at a miniscule hole in the mesh and then jumps at it over and over. As soon as I step tp where she can see me again, she runs and pecks at her food. I just find it to much of a coincidence to ignore

6. marlo1968

marlo1968 Songster

Mar 31, 2012
    Lorenzo, TX
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  7. marlo1968

marlo1968 Songster

Mar 31, 2012
    Lorenzo, TX
    I have a couple of Ameraucanas that do this too, they have seperately taken on a cat and any other bird that comes within range.....funny

8. NoZolbitty

NoZolbitty Chirping

Chickens like many of our animals, are often underestimated by much of humanity. Like our other domestic companions they like a routine. Blush's behavior is a classic example of this. You probably see this with other critters in your household.[​IMG]

9. S1mba

S1mba Hatching

Jun 7, 2012

Anyone seen anything like this?

I've vaguely heard of the tic-tac-toe playing chickens.

10. joypeters

joypeters In the Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    northridge, california
    boy, mine are pretty smart, AND pretty brave. they all know exactly where the gate is, and attack it as i approach. they know the sound of the BOSS bag, the top of the yogurt lid and the sound of me tearing the lettuce from 10' away. (i always toss in some lettuce). a couple of them will risk life and limb to get out of the gate when it's open and i've never had them miss a chance to make a run for it.

who knows, maybe they all sit around talking about us like we are the ding dongs. "Boy, our person seems smart, but let me tell you, she sometimes walks right into the gate. The gate I tell you. Not as bright as she looks, that one."

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: