Have you ever had a group of chickens that's just smarter than the rest?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WalkingOnSunshine, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Mama&thePeeps

Mama&thePeeps Songster

Apr 18, 2009
    Tennessee
    Our chickens will look up at you when you come outside and then go about their business.

BUT---- if you come outside holding the jar of Happy Hen Treats, boy watch out! Fred, our rooster, will dash towards you at top speed yelling to the ladies to 'get over here and get some treats!' I should make a commercial.

2. KansasCluck

KansasCluck Hatching

Apr 21, 2012
    I don't know about smart but I have started a bad habit at my house. When I come home from work everyday the first thing I do is check on the chickens. One day I had some leftovers from my lunch box so I gave them to the chickens....big mistake! Now ever time the truck pulls in the driveway here they come running...and if you don't have anything they follow you around and tell you about it.

I also have 2 guineas that free range with my chickens and I know they understand what I say. There favorite game is to chase the chickens around the yard and pull on their tail feathers when they get tired of searching for bugs. When I am outside with them and I see them do this I yell at them "Guineas I don't want to see you pickin on the chickens"...they look at me like I am crazy. But they humor me and stop....until I turn my back that is...then I will hear a loud squak from whatever poor chicken happens to be close to them. Of course when I turn back around the chicken has run off and the guineas are looking at me like "What? We didn't do anythng!"

3. Yukonchick

Yukonchick Songster

Wow, amazing[​IMG] I'm really worried about my chicks too when I finally put them in their chicken house. We have alot of predators up here in the Yukon but the one I'm worried about the most is weasels. I bought a baby moniter but them little buggers are fast, so I'm thinking of putting a cheap little radio in there with them. My husband doesn't think it will deter them but we'll see.[​IMG]

4. wbruder17

wbruder17 Songster

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I have some incredibly intelligent girls.... and then some who are not the sharpest tools in the shed.... but the smart ones amaze me with how intelligent they actually are. I was very suprised. They have great memories and listen to instructions (like when i tell Sophie to get off the fence and not go into the garden. She will turn around and jump off!) I have lots of other examples, one that is trained to fly onto my arm. Some others that come when I call them, but i wont bore you with all of them..... just wanted to say how impressed i am with some of my girls.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  5. kamuelamom

kamuelamom Chirping

Mar 24, 2011
    Bwahahahahaha! I'll just bet that's what's going on! LOL

6. Chicken Staff

Chicken Staff In the Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    I catch mine gossiping about us all the time. If we scold them, they'll sit in a circle in whisper to each other bwa,buh,buh,buh (those mean food giver people), buh,buh,buh ( I know, I know)...

7. yorklady

yorklady Chirping

May 12, 2012
    We have one Red Star that lurks in the nesting box just waiting for hubby to open it. As soon as he raises the top off she flies. We are onto her tricks now and watch for her. The rest of our small flock are all an egg short of a dozen but we love them anyway!

8. NoZolbitty

NoZolbitty Chirping

[​IMG]It's a matter of curious beaks wanna know

9. mayfly

mayfly Hatching

Feb 15, 2012
    faribault minnesota
    hi all, to start off i keep my feed in a large plastic garbage can located inside of one of my breeding pens, so with that said i have this rooster that will stand on top of the can lid when the little metal latches are latched shut and pull on them with his beak and open them, he then jumps down and kicks the lid until he partially knocks it off and then jumps in to get the feed, i would say that was an intelligent act.lol

10. harryzhao

harryzhao Hatching

Jun 8, 2012
    man, out of my 11 chicks, the black one with a yellow neck is the smartest. She knows a secret way to get out taht only i know.she is so smart
    .i wonnder if she has a alien brain.why did the chicken cross the road? to lay here eggs at the hacther.which came first the chicken or the egg.of course the chicken beacuse good made the chicken.simple

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: