Have you ever had a nice rooster?

Pics
I've heard some really good things about Buff Orphington roosters, and also many bantams I've heard are nicer, but I believe that all of them have their own personalities and every breed can have nice, mean, docile, etc. birds.

Well yeah, I've got Negan my faverolles lol! I hatched him and raised him as a hen basically so he's a very freindly guy. He does his rooster job and sits on eggs quite a bit, he also won't turn down a nice beard scratch. I think his demeanor is half breeding and half because I warped his childhood. ;)
20171005_153154.jpg

Defiantly different definitions of nice.My rooster would probably kill any baby chicks I introduced.Other then that,he is friendly,defends hens girls,and is a great food and water finder.
My showgirl rooster Juju will sit on chicks and keep them warm. I got him trying to sit on a few cream legbar growouts that I had put in the pen. He's not very big, so they were sticking out everywhere. I wish I had had my phone that day to take a pic. He is sweet to any bird at all I put in there, with the exception of mature roosters. He wants to fight them. I don't know about my large fowl roos because those hens never go broody and I only introduce decent sized females, which he loves.

I know that it's par for the course for roosters to be pretty mean and aggressive, especially the older they get But have you ever had a nice rooster that would say let you pet him was friendly etc.?
I have several. Chickens are social animals. The more you are around them, the more they trust and or respect you. We are at about a dozen males at this moment. Only one is mean. He is a young Mottled Java Roo that is in a breeding house far from where I frequent. He has lunged at me on occasion. But w/o flinching I'll snatch him up faster that greased lightning and hold him tight for a few. Then release him. Then he leaves me alone. He is hardwired to compete for Alpha Position. With me not interacting as much, as well as a vague presents.. I am invading his turf. Or at least he thinks I am.
Now the rest of the boys hate each other but love em-wah. I hand feed them, call them & interact on a frequent basis. One particular male.. Dr. Pepper, a massive Barred Rock mix, will hop on my arm like a parrot if I extend my arm out straight and low to the ground. A true mind blower to folks coming over to by birds from us.
Just like a dog, they since your fear, anger etc. If you run from a dog, he will chase you. Same w/roos. Snatch em up. Look em in the eye and say the magic words: CHICKEN SOUP! STRIKE ONE! 3 strikes you out..:gig
rooster hugger.gif

Last edited:
Lol! I like to say "you're one letter away from being a roaster".They understand english when they have to, I'm convinced of that. Empty threats, but he dosent know that. :)
I have several. Chickens are social animals. The more you are around them, the more they trust and or respect you. We are at about a dozen males at this moment. Only one is mean. He is a young Mottled Java Roo that is in a breeding house far from where I frequent. He has lunged at me on occasion. But w/o flinching I'll snatch him up faster that greased lightning and hold him tight for a few. Then release him. Then he leaves me alone. He is hardwired to compete for Alpha Position. With me not interacting as much, as well as a vague presents.. I am invading his turf. Or at least he thinks I am.
Now the rest of the boys hate each other but love em-wah. I hand feed them, call them & interact on a frequent basis. One particular male.. Dr. Pepper, a massive Barred Rock mix, will hop on my arm like a parrot if I extend my arm out straight and low to the ground. A true mind blower to folks coming over to by birds from us.
Just like a dog, they since your fear, anger etc. If you run from a dog, he will chase you. Same w/roos. Snatch em up. Look em in the eye and say the magic words: CHICKEN SOUP! STRIKE ONE! 3 strikes you out..:gig

I have had many roosters over the years. I've had fabulous luck with all Plymouth Barred Rocks, Buff Orpingtons and 1 Australorp rooster. I have had terrible/evil/from the bowels of hell roosters that were RIRs, and one little bantam rooster that had hair on his legs.. No idea what breed he was but I avoid hairy legged roosters now lol.

Unfortunately my black copper maran rooster is about 16 weeks and very friendly with an excellent disposition but we will see what happens. More interested in humans than the pullets. Can't say he is protective of the females yet though. He is the first to go running back into the barn when a bird swoops down or passes by. He will just jump right on your lap and peck and pull at your clothes and will just stare in your face, sit on your lap etc.

I've noticed one thing that even calms down the not so nice roosters, if you can get a hold of them. Rubbing the comb. I had to put salve on a rooster's comb that had frost bite and his eyes closed and he was so relaxed. So now if I have to handle a rooster for some reason, I give him comb a nice little rub. They all love it.

I currently have 3 Roo's, each with uniquely different personalities.
Rocky Roo was my 1st, he is sitting in my lap in this avatar. So when I got him as a youngster he was sweet, but it seems once he got his spurs his attitude changed, and I just attribute that to his growing up and taking his job as protector very seriously. He "can" be sweet, but I have to quickly grab and scoop him up, holding him like a football and pet him saying, "Hi Rocky, hello big boy, how are you doing" in my sweet talk, then he will make his sweet sounds, the same sounds he makes when I give mealworms. The second I put him down on the ground, however, he can jump up like a ninja and spur me, or sometimes he just wants to play, so I just have to keep an eye on him, see his expression and listen to his distinct sounds to know if I am in trouble or if he's having a good day. Luckily, I know his moods.

Baron The Baritone, (low tone crow), was a rescue, he is going to take some work to win over, if ever, because he was a nervous wreck, in bad conditions, overcrowded and not happy. He is still a little higher strung than everyone else and does not like when I catch him to check him over, make sure he is lice free and doing well, but he is not aggressive at all, runs from me, not after me. He definitely has calmed down and is not so afraid like when I 1st got him, he seems happier now, well he's got 9 hens for a harem so he ought to be! :)

Baby Roo (he's a little guy, for now anyway), was also rescued from the same place, but he was just a baby, running around being chased, pecked at and picked on, the smallest baby, barely feathered, no spurs at all yet. I scooped him up and he actually curled up in a ball on my lap and made the saddest coo type sounds I have ever heard uttered, and when I spoke gently to him and pet him, he looked up at me and make the sweetest little cluck, so I clucked back and smiled at him, and he just stared up at me, it was really amazing. That Roo now has spurs growing in, and still, the minute he sees me or hears me, makes that sweetest little cluck sound. I have never imagined a rooster could be so sweet, I love that little guy, and he loves me too, let's me scoop him up to hug him, sits on my lap for pets, and loves to be fussed over. I thought he might change as he grew spurs, but he is still my love bug.

Aren't they wonderful?! :)

Back
Top Bottom