Have you ever had a nice rooster?

Pics
My roo is a two year old lavender Orpington named Kevin.
I ordered all hens and was dismayed to find that one chick was not playing well with others. I spent a couple of days wondering what to do with the chick with very aggressive personality until I figured that Sylvia should be renamed Kevin. Spent lots of time with Kevin during the first month or so. He has turned out to be a sweet, good natured and gorgeous fellow! Can't imagine the flock without him now!

I've never had a mean rooster. They all have always known I'm part of the flock and have been sweethearts. They see me in and out many, many times a day, often with goodies, so of course we're all friends.

I know that it's par for the course for roosters to be pretty mean and aggressive, especially the older they get But have you ever had a nice rooster that would say let you pet him was friendly etc.?
My rooster is not mean. But I also do not pet him or hand feed him. I believe if a rooster has too many human contacts (petting, holding etc), they have a tendency to get mean. He’s a big guy with very large spurs which could do some real damage. We respect each other’s space. There are some breeds that produce really mean roosters, Sam thing goes with cattle.

IMG_0251.JPG
The best Rooster I ever Had..Lester. Brahm/Ameruacana..
He is a great Rooster and fantastic father.

My black Orpington roo is a sweetheart. He’s only 9 months but he’s good to my girls and when I feed them treats he won’t eat them off the ground, only from my hand. Sometimes when I pick him up to check his feet, etc he’ll press his face against my arm. I didn’t want a roo but he’s so nice we keep him around.

My rosecomb "SILLYGOOSE" is just spoiled. He tags along on family fun days,fishing,crabbing,beaches,lakes basically everywhere we go. Never clipped his feathers never slept in a cage or coop. 2yrs old but he's the baby of the house. Eats everything in sight and loves his hot sauce & best friend "jojo" my cat. Our 5am alarm clock everyday even on days off.

I had a wheaten ameraucana rooster who was so sweet to me. He'd greet me with his buk bubuk buk. Wasn't so much into cuddling as an adult but I could reach down and pet him or pick him up.

My silkie roosters are non-people aggressive. I've been breeding for friendliness and finally have 5 of them that will come up and ask for attention or treats. One of them follows me around and will tug on my pant legs to be picked up so I can rub his ears. They are actually very hard to feed and water because they get underfoot.

This is genetic friendliness passed down from one super friendly hen. They weren't really handled much as chicks or teens. They decided on their own to come up to me and didn't protest much about being picked up. Now they don't care.

I've never had a mean rooster. They all have always known I'm part of the flock and have been sweethearts. They see me in and out many, many times a day, often with goodies, so of course we're all friends.

You should meet Henry!

My neighbor had a rooster I called Rooster Cogburn and when he saw me he would come running to me as fast as he could to see if I had any treats. He was very friendly too bad a dog killed him.

JT

I have had both, mean roos meet the pot, good ones (that I dont want) I try to find a home for, usually with a few hens/pullets as a small flock. However I have also re-homed a RIR/production red, he was great here, and mean there. He would flog the gal, I told her next time grab him and eat him, problem solved as that is just what she did. One of my hatches, a black EE that splashed gold, they did not want a rooster and said he would be finding a new home. Then they saw him in their coop with the girls, and he is very people friendly, they kept him.
Here is what I get from my EE hatches;
Silver splash, mean/aggresive, some to people as well, comes from the bantam side I think.
Red shows RIR in their past, I process them at 4 months, every single one has had a bad attitude, mean/aggressive, I am the only one allowed to have a bad attitude here.
White, with white splash, very few, but they have been nice roosters
Black with black splash, also good, about 3 inches taller than others, I have one over the girls now. He follows me around the yard talking to me, or the girls. Often walks beside me to their feeding place.
Black with gold splash, very friendly good with the girls. I picked one of these to keep (Mr T), but they are very heavy and I lost him to a heat stoke, I could have cried,,, my sister has the one I let out.
A good rooster can be very cool, and I get more eggs with a good roo.

Back
Top Bottom