Have you ever had a nice rooster?

Pics
I know that it's par for the course for roosters to be pretty mean and aggressive, especially the older they get But have you ever had a nice rooster that would say let you pet him was friendly etc.?
I have about 40 roosters and love them all. Many of them love to sit on my lap and cuddle, more so than the hens. I have a wide assortment of purebreds and mixes, from tiny Serama to Light Brahmas. Even some boys that really love going on rides. Roosters are fascinating and if you are kind to them and earn their trust you will have a wonderful experience. They can challenge you during thier teen phase as that’s when they are having hormone surges, much like human teen boys... using time outs always works for me, I have large metal dog crates I can put in my run and coop if someone needs separated while going through puberty. After the hormones level out they integrate just fine and are wonderful animal companions and flock mates.

Attachments

• 49E627E8-1EA7-4F31-8016-04180C479361.jpeg
    49E627E8-1EA7-4F31-8016-04180C479361.jpeg
    507.6 KB · Views: 13
My little Hercules the silkie roo is such a sweet boy. I had an easter egger and polish though that were aweful! He went thru a short phase in his teens trying to figure out his life but he's about a year now and is really good to his ladies and doesn't attack people. He tries to dance for the kids thinking they are his ladies, tho
IMG_20180306_194531_299.jpg
.. lol.

yes I have 2 actually , but my other one he pecks me sometimes if I go near him or if I'm calling the chooks and ducks the girls will follow me and he doesn't like that so he pecks me

I know that it's par for the course for roosters to be pretty mean and aggressive, especially the older they get But have you ever had a nice rooster that would say let you pet him was friendly etc.?
Meanness as others have said is not par for the course. I have a Jersey Giant rooster that is calmer and friendlier than any of my hens. If I'm irritating the hens, picking them up, his girls, he'll come over and voice his disapproval but that's about it. And I can actually pick him up easier than the hens. I don't make pets out of my birds so they don't get handled much, and he's still a good boy. Four or five yrs old now and as nice today as he was as a cockerel.

The Roo in my Avatar is very nice. He is an Easter Egger. He is still just a cockerel for about 6 more weeks. He is not human aggressive. I have taken @lazy gardener 's advice and kept an arm's length policy with him. I can pat him and he will move out of my way, and stand right next to me without incident. The ONLY time he gets excitable is when I handle one of his girls and they start squawking complaints!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom