Have you ever had a nice rooster?

Pics
I have a very friendly barred rock rooster. He will eat treats out of my hand and takes care of his ladies. He has never attacked me or my dogs. Such a gentleman.

We have a wonderful orp rooster. He's always been a perfect gentleman and safe around kids & dogs. He's a good flock leader and even allows the other males to mate. As long as the hen doesn't squawk, he allows it. If a young cockerel is too hormonal, our old roo will chase him off.

The only thing I don't like is his name. The kids called him "Mr Dummy-pants" and somehow it stuck. It's not a fitting name for such a handsome, gentle fellow. He's the great peace-maker in the flock but is now growing old. He still mates but I must keep another roo around if I want fertile eggs.

He will eat from hands, and we can just bend down & pick him up. He never went through a testing phase. Part of it could be that we kept 2 roos / brothers. They worked out the pecking order in the brooder & never fought as adults. Once we were sure Dummy was going to be our keeper (around 16 months old) we sold the brother. We've had other roos and most have been fine. We don't "cuddle" them, but we do carry them to the garage each night. (to silence their crows) That could also be why our roos don't mind being picked up & handled.
IMG_7185 copy.jpg

I have had 3 roosters in my life, and 2 of them were extremely friendly and the third just left you alone. My first was a rescued wild chick that turned out to be a roo and he was our only chick. He was such a sweetie to us. My second was a serama roo, Elvis. He was such a baby. You could do whatever you wanted with him, and he was so sweet to his hen.

We have a wonderful orp rooster. He's always been a perfect gentleman and safe around kids & dogs. He's a good flock leader and even allows the other males to mate. As long as the hen doesn't squawk, he allows it. If a young cockerel is too hormonal, our old roo will chase him off.

The only thing I don't like is his name. The kids called him "Mr Dummy-pants" and somehow it stuck. It's not a fitting name for such a handsome, gentle fellow. He's the great peace-maker in the flock but is now growing old. He still mates but I must keep another roo around if I want fertile eggs.

He will eat from hands, and we can just bend down & pick him up. He never went through a testing phase. Part of it could be that we kept 2 roos / brothers. They worked out the pecking order in the brooder & never fought as adults. Once we were sure Dummy was going to be our keeper (around 16 months old) we sold the brother. We've had other roos and most have been fine. We don't "cuddle" them, but we do carry them to the garage each night. (to silence their crows) That could also be why our roos don't mind being picked up & handled.
View attachment 1309629
Omg that is a big boy! How did he sit like that for a picture?? So calm

Maximus is my profile pic, he's 10 years old, rescued as an adult, and absolutely the best roo ever! He is 100 percent love bug, incredibly sweet, very tolerant and totally trustworthy, yet will sacrifice his own life to protect his hens from predators. I love this roo with all my heart.

I've had 2 roos prior to him, that were not friendly to humans at all. I have scars from those boys.

My ameraucana roos seem to be indifferent. They have never shown any aggression towards us or the kids. We don't handle them or hand feed them. They move out of our way when we're working outside. And move quickly out of the way when my toddler is running around the yard. We have had a few aggressive boys, but they've always been culled. I figure there's plenty of nice roosters. Why bother keeping the mean ones?

my cochin roosters are both really sweet natured, and real gentlemen with the ladies. They were raised by their mothers so you can't pet them but they are wonderful boys. Not aggressive at all! My Orpington rooster got a little protective/aggressive during his youth, but I figure it was just his hormones kicking in, as now he's lovely although he does get rather overzealous when Im bringing their feed out to them.

Back
Top Bottom