Have you ever had a nice rooster?

Pics
I have a French Bantam rooster that was given to me from a friend in Denver. He was the attack rooster from.....meaner than a skunk. I got tired of messing with him, so I caught him, tucked him under my arm, and for 2 hours we walked the tree lines, sat in the swing under the trees, and I sang songs to him. Since then, he waits for me in the mornings on the roost to be held and loved on, is never aggressive and has become my very favorite!!!

I have 4 roosters at the moment. 2 are super mean and 2 are sweet. I don't plan on keeping all 4 yet their new homes aren't ready to take them yet.

Ennard is a Barred Rock will fight anything and everything that moves, he always goes after my feet. Big Red is an RIR and he's a big protector of the eggs in his coop, I have to hide the egg basket from him going in and out or he'll attack it.

My sweet ones; Foxy a Barred Rock and Markimoo a Plymouth Barred Rock are awesome cuddlers, they always want to be held and kissed.

2A59C0AB-ED27-4B4B-9284-4A3A6FE04FCF.jpeg
Mr Spot the sweetie and the little yellow and white is Mr Toughie the little jerk mean one.

Attachments

• 91555CCA-8818-4F85-8526-FEDB8B14F775.jpeg
    91555CCA-8818-4F85-8526-FEDB8B14F775.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
I don't personally have roosters (my ordinance won't allow it) but I know someone who has 2 of the sweetest roosters ever. Both are EEs. They care for their ladies and let anyone hold/pet them.

I have had 3 roosters in the past that were in between, they were dominant with each other and mean to each other, they weren't mean to me bc i showed them who was boss they were buff orps (one i think wasn't but looked like one only). They all got culled under different circumstances but had a nice enough life of about 6 months or so

Then I have currently a hen turned rooster buff orp, she has turned a bit mean to my daughter but is very gentle with me though she trys to corral me with that wing down, don't pass or out of my way thing

I have another buff orp rooster he is nearly 2 years old he is with my hens and he has never been mean to anyone in my family not one peck, or corral, he gets mad at my hen turned rooster when she corrals me, he is super gentle eats out of my hand, but his one rule is don't touch him, he doesn't like it when petted one bit, he won't be mean but will run screaming like a girl so... he's the best though

now i have a new group of ee's, one so far has turned up a rooster they are about 7 to 8 weeks right now, and just this morning he jumped up and cuddled in my lap, yet he is still a baby so we'll see when those hormones kick in.

I don't think good roosters are that rare my guess is its 50/50 chance 1 out of 2 roos type of thing

I know that it's par for the course for roosters to be pretty mean and aggressive, especially the older they get But have you ever had a nice rooster that would say let you pet him was friendly etc.?

i still have one. he was my very first chicken i ever had. i've been raising chickens for four years. Shadow is roughly 8 years old now. i won't have him for much longer but that is my baby. he is a cochin. that's him along with my fist hen Midnight. but Shadow is cuddly. he'll take treats from my hand. he's friendlier than any roo you'd ever meet. he's even a good father. he sleeps with his broody hens and it's the cutest thing watching the chicks climb all over him while he lays in the sun. i dread the day when he's gone.

I have only had a total of 4 roosters. Of those, 2 we're total gentlemen, one was ok, just had to keep an eye on him when my 3 year old was playing near the hens, and one was a total nightmare that had to be dispatched as was a danger to have around. Interesting thing was his brother was one of the total gentlemen that I have to this day. The brothers were treated in the same exact way and the same bloodline so who knows what made one a saint and the other a pest. Doesn't really matter all that much I guess as I only need one or two roosters around to assist in predator protection for my flock.

Back
Top Bottom