Have you ever had this problem? IF so what did you do?

Mojo Chick'n :

I think a multi level chicken coop would be the bomb!

I don't have a seperate floor for mine, but I do have shelves we put in so they can get up onto different levels - a top floor would actually be sort of cool, with ramps going down in a couple places for them to choose their route of exit.

Maybe a trap door to stick your head up through to peek and see if they laid any eggs up there
lau.gif

I'd build mine sort of like a pirate ship (think One Eyed Willie's Treasure Chamber)... but that's just cause I'm odd
wink.png

The chickens (the ones that can fly) like to go up into the loft of the barn, anyway, so why not a second floor? MUCH easier than building a second coop (believe me, I've made hubby build me 4 so far - we're working on a new pen for ducks and runs off the three new coops - and a duck shelter today.)

take pics if ya do it
big_smile.png

meri

That sounds altogether TOO cute for words! You'd have to include one RIR hen and name her Maureen (for Maureen O'Hara in that swashbuckler w/ Errol Flynn) (and yeah, I like old movies!
big_smile.png
)​

A.J's: If you have it in you, you could butcher the "excess" birds. That way you restore piece in your flock, put good food on your table (humanely raised vs. mass production) and make your husband happy.
(And this coming from a big softy who can't even kill for mercy...)

I've been spreading the word around that I'm "that chicken guy". It's been working. I have an ad on Craigslist usually and word of mouth and simple advertising have been selling my chicks. I've had several people come out and help me build my new coop and I've been paying them in eggs. It's a small gesture for a very generous act on their part, but it's what I can do. Offering dinner would work well too.

Good luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom