Have you ever

chickmomma30

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Odessa MO
I have a baby chick that is about a month old and is a barred rock that loves to lay on side and stretch its feet out. Now i have been around chickens since i was a teen and never ever seen this happen. I have been trying to gget a pic. never really able to get it quick enough. Have any of you seen this. Oh and yes it is still alive and running like crazy. I told my mother about it and she asked if it was dead. lol i asked same question. Any idea if this is a strange chick or have you seen this before?

Yup, I've seen it. Especially in a few on my Buff Orpingtons, some hens just like to kick back and relax I guess!!
smile.png

Mine do it too. I just uploaded a video of a group dusting on my BYC webpage. When I went out yesterday I saw a heap of chicks with a couple legs sticking straight up in the air. My heart skipped a beat, then I realized they were doing their afternoon dusting.

<Edited to see if I can post the video here>

Tried to embed it, but I guess it didn't work..ah well.

Last edited:
My little baby 'cauanas do it all the time. Scared da bajeeebers out o' me first time i saw it. It looked like a flat road kill bird. I have a perch in thier brooder about 3" high and with the bedding it's only about an inch off the bedding. I have seen my babies lay on thier sides with thier little heads hangin over the perch lol

Back
Top Bottom