Have you given up your flock because of neighborhood predators?

Same principle is at work as with the horses out back. They reside inside a 3 acre pasture enclosed by a woven wire fence topped by a single strand of twisted #12 wires. Horse can and do ride that down to get to the lush grass on the other side. They don't pay it any mind at all.
But put those same horses inside an area enclosed by only a single poly tape of electric fence and they won't get within 2 feet of it. They know if they mess with that, they get zapped and so they won't mess with it. Not a physical barrier at all. A physchological one and a powerful one at that.

Lots of opinions on how to protect our flocks. It is just a matter of personal circumstances and desires. The electric fence is interesting but aerial attacks still need to be addressed. We have had experience with solar/battery powered hot wires with wire/tape and these had little affect on deer eating flowers in between the string of wire/tape. A mesh fence would be much better.

I have to giggle at those that think hitting a predator with a bb/pellet gun from any distance over 5 ft is certain, not in my experience.

Here is what the state of Washington has to say about dogs attacking livestock/poultry=

16.08.020. Dogs injuring stock may be killed
It shall be lawful for any person who shall see any dog or dogs chasing, biting, injuring or killing any sheep, swine or other domestic animal, including poultry, belonging to such person, on any real property owned or leased by, or under the control of, such person, or on any public highway, to kill such dog or dogs, and it shall be the duty of the owner or keeper of any dog or dogs so found chasing, biting or injuring any domestic animal, including poultry, upon being notified of that fact by the owner of such domestic animals or poultry, to thereafter keep such dog or dogs in leash or confined upon the premises of the owner or keeper thereof, and in case any such owner or keeper of a dog or dogs shall fail or neglect to comply with the provisions of this section, it shall be lawful for the owner of such domestic animals or poultry to kill such dog or dogs found running at large.

So, do the best you can and be vigilant! BB

Hmm, I thought I read somewhere that if you shoot a dog in defense of your livestock that are not responsible for any medical bills. After all not all shot dogs end up dead. Maybe it varies by state?
Again, in many areas "protecting" your livestock is only a defense if you make a certain amount of income from your livestock. You must know your laws! Just because you have 2 chickens in a playhouse, doesn't mean you can blow away anything that moves. FYI

:bun
Again, in many areas "protecting" your livestock is only a defense if you make a certain amount of income from your livestock. You must know your laws! Just because you have 2 chickens in a playhouse, doesn't mean you can blow away anything that moves. FYI

Yes, because shooting a dog that's attacking my chickens is just "blowing away anything that moves".

Lots of opinions on how to protect our flocks. It is just a matter of personal circumstances and desires. The electric fence is interesting but aerial attacks still need to be addressed. We have had experience with solar/battery powered hot wires with wire/tape and these had little affect on deer eating flowers in between the string of wire/tape. A mesh fence would be much better.

I have to giggle at those that think hitting a predator with a bb/pellet gun from any distance over 5 ft is certain, not in my experience.

Here is what the state of Washington has to say about dogs attacking livestock/poultry=

16.08.020. Dogs injuring stock may be killed
It shall be lawful for any person who shall see any dog or dogs chasing, biting, injuring or killing any sheep, swine or other domestic animal, including poultry, belonging to such person, on any real property owned or leased by, or under the control of, such person, or on any public highway, to kill such dog or dogs, and it shall be the duty of the owner or keeper of any dog or dogs so found chasing, biting or injuring any domestic animal, including poultry, upon being notified of that fact by the owner of such domestic animals or poultry, to thereafter keep such dog or dogs in leash or confined upon the premises of the owner or keeper thereof, and in case any such owner or keeper of a dog or dogs shall fail or neglect to comply with the provisions of this section, it shall be lawful for the owner of such domestic animals or poultry to kill such dog or dogs found running at large.

So, do the best you can and be vigilant! BB

You can't hit a target with a BB/pellet gun if it's farther than 5ft from you? Either you have a crappy gun or you're not a good shot.

Last edited:
I don't have any hot wire. I have a mixture of fencing around the homestead and different small livestock areas, 6ft heavy gauge chain link, 5ft heavy gauge woven field fencing, 5ft x16ft horse panels. Majority of my fencing is 16 years old, been through ice storms and blizzards and is like brand new. Spending the money on quality materials and starting off smaller expandable areas is a good long term investment. I could never afford to do all that I have done over 16 years all at one time.. do what you can where you need it... so sorry for your loss and the disrespect of your neighbors

this is the horse panel. really love this. sections that you can put up easily, and take down when your ready to change or expand, one person can do it and it doesn't have to be stretched or use a top wire on it. these are 16 years old. Expensive but I collected them a little at a time.
10687439_1005907509438544_7967151876868865145_o_zps6mvmxoj8.jpg

If you're in a rural area, chances are that you have a legal right to protect your stock by whatever means necessary.

I am particularly in favor of the SSS method. It is absolutely, 100% effective. This SSS is the acronym for Shoot, Shovel and Shut-up.

I had several confrontations with a neighbor who wouldn't control his dogs. Weeks after our last "discussion" two of his mutts disappeared. I swear I did nothing to his dogs. But, he is convinced I killed or transported his dogs. The point I'm trying to make is, if you complain a few times to the owner, another neighbor takes actions toward these chicken-killers, you will become suspect #1 regardless. Now, I warn the offending neighbor once!!

I am a devoted and passionate dog lover. People will often make the excuse that "the dog is only doing what comes naturally to him." This precisely why in most cases a dog allowed to run free will continue to kill and injure stock. It's embedded in his DNA!!! For some reason many people who move to the country think it is OK for their dogs to run free.

I have 2 house dogs that we love very much. I have 2 hunting dogs that I hunt and compete in field trials with. I am crazy about these wonderful dogs as well. If they were to escape on a regular basis and cause damage, injury or death to another man's animals, who's fault is it when my dogs get killed for it?

Last edited:

That would be a sad place to live.
If my poor hens wasnt making me some cash then they wouldnt have the right of my protecting them.
Its the wild west out here we can run around our property blowing away anything that moves except birds of prey.

Everyone will do as they please. Many would find the laws are very different then they perceive. 2 chickens are not livestock, period. Doesn't mean they are not protected, just not by the often quoted "law" here. Many people have no safe place to shoot a predator anyway.

Back
Top Bottom