Have you given up your flock because of neighborhood predators?

Pics

wolf15

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2017
We are on our second year of having backyard poultry. We started with a few ducks last year and got a few chickens this year. We had our third incident with neighborhood dogs today. The first time, we talked to the owner and haven't had a problem since. The last couple of times, it was different dogs/owners (same for those incidents). We talked politely to them, too, but it would appear that didn't do any good. Has anyone else given up on raising their flocks? I'm almost ready to. I've fallen in love with my birds, so they are like pets to me.

An electric fence would help with dogs, who are deterred strongly by electric shock. My flock are pets as well, and i have only had one chicken die by a hawk. I think you should try the electric fence before giving up your birds. My collie gets shocked and runs and sits down far away from the fence and doesn't go near again for a long time, but he isn't a concern because he is very good with the chickens (even chicks. He herds them). Try the fence!

If the dogs owners aren't doing anything about their mutts running around, u could probably call animal control...... You DEFINITELY need to do something about those dogs. Your birds are your pets!

An electric fence isn't practical for us. We have a small yard and kids. We've reinforced our pens after a dog broke into the duck area. However, they (dogs) are still trying. Today was the first time since the chickens have been outside. They got so riled up, that one of them got injured in the chaos.

If the dogs owners aren't doing anything about their mutts running around, u could probably call animal control...... You DEFINITELY need to do something about those dogs. Your birds are your pets!

Animal control won't get involved where we live. Today, we did call and report it to the police, though. On hindsight, we should have the last time as well, but my husband wanted to be 'neighborly'.

The fence i have does not shock hard, it just surprises you a bit. How old are your kids? Any older than six I would say would not be hurt at all by the fence. Of course, it is up to you, thats just my opinion.

I would suggest calling your local animal control, because if your chickens are kept in your yard with fencing round them and their dogs are getting in even tho it was secure, it is the owners duty to keep their dogs under control as not to cause a nuisance to the area. In seeing how you haved talked to them and they have done nothing it will look bad for them are others in the area having problems with the same did if so maybe write out a letter of complaints and show it to animal control so they can see it's not just u.

Back
Top Bottom