Have you gotten chicks from The Poultry House via Bonnie's Barnyard?

debid

Free Ranging
10 Years
Jan 20, 2011
middle TN
TN folks, just wondering if any of you have had experience with this hatchery? Or know someone who has?

Last edited:
Is this the one out of the Franklin area? I bought a small number from them a couple of years ago. Two Delaware pullets and two silver-laced wyandotte pullets. One of the Delawares turned out to be a male, but otherwise good birds. I met the owner and his son. They were both very nice. I don't know anything about "Bonnie's Barnyard", though.

They're delivering through Bonnie's now to keep the foot traffic away from the farm. I'm getting chicks from them in March and the customer service so far makes them seem too good to be true. I couldn't find anything on them which is good in that people are generally more likely to complain than post positives but still...

Yeah, it is nearly impossible to find any info on them. I asked the owner if they had a website. He said they stayed busy enough without one. He usually advertises on Craigslist in the spring. At that time, he didn't allow pickups on the property - we had to meet him at a local TSC to pick up our chicks. Very very nice fellow, and great way to get small numbers of birds locally. I wish I could find what I did with his contact number
hmm.png

Not sure if you still need the contact number but here it is for future reference: 615-574-1250 or email at [email protected] I just got this info from a flier at Bonnie's. BTW, if you are in the area of hwy 96 and Nolensville, Bonnies is a great place to get feed and supplies. I like buying from someone local rather than a chain and Bonnie is very, very helpful.

Last edited:
I am interested in this question too. I am getting in the "chicken business" hopefully this spring and I'm torn between ordering from McMurray Hatchery, Cackle Hatchery or going through a local place that I found on Craigslist called The Poultry House in Franklin TN. Anyone have advice?

Order from Doug at The Poultry House. You won't want to order from any where else afterwards. He can get you just about anything that you could order online, but with no minimums, no shipping, and excellent customer service.

Also, welcome to BYC!

I am interested in this question too. I am getting in the "chicken business" hopefully this spring and I'm torn between ordering from McMurray Hatchery, Cackle Hatchery or going through a local place that I found on Craigslist called The Poultry House in Franklin TN. Anyone have advice?

Nickie, I replied to your message but I'm not sure if it worked. Still getting used to the new site...

But yeah, hands down, would order from them again over feed store chicks or mail-order. Good people, quality birds, amazing service.

Hi there,
I'm new to the site, but thought I would post a response to this thread. I'm preparing to start my own BYF and had an opportunity to attend a seminar this morning on how to get started. It was conducted by Doug from The Poultry House and I have to say that he was impressive to say the least. The reason that he doesn't allow for any pickups at his farm is to make certain that he has a bio-secured farm. In order to have a truly NPIP certified poultry farm, it can not be open to public visitors. Doug has all of his birds tested a few times a year to ensure there is no disease amongst his flock and to maintain his NPIP certification.
One of the many great things about this hatchery is that he does have several of the "Threatened" and "Watch" breeds that are noted on the ALBC website. He has been diligent in obtaining these birds from certified and healthy bloodlines. So, this eliminates the need to order online from an out of state hatchery that requires a minimum order and reduces the risk of mortality of mail order chicks. There is also the added bonus of not paying for your chicks (on orders of less than 100) until the day you pick them up and have an opportunity to look them over and make certain that you are satisfied with them. This goes to show how confident he is of the health and quality of his chicks.
I'm in the process of ordering my early spring chicks now. As soon as I receive them I'll be happy to share the experience :)

Until then... happy hatching! :)

I just ordered mine from him! I wish I had known about his seminar!

I am looking forward to increasing my flock this spring!

Rachel

Back
Top Bottom